How many roosters are too many?

missannie

Hatching
12 Years
Oct 26, 2007
I am a retired teacher and have recently moved to the country where I am renovating a century old home and gardens.. I thought it would be fun to raise chickens in a coop instead of a classroom incubator so bought some 2 day old "sexed" chicks in the Spring... surprisingly, 9 of the chicks were roosters and I have become very attached to them.. they are now 23 weeks old and the hens haven't started laying. I realize that this is a ridiculous question but how many roosters can I reasonably keep? I have 9 hens and 9 beautiful roosters including wyandottes, hamburgs and cochins.. so far everyone has been getting along very well but today I noticed one rooster (McMeany) acting very bossy and aggressive. I'm having a hard time coaxing them into their coop at night and wonder if they feel safer roosting in their fenced yard outside than inside with McMeany? I appreciate any advice you experts might have for me.

It really depends on the roosters cause my grandma has more roos than she does hens that free range and every body does great. Although since you have them cooped up then I would pick 2 of your favorites and get rid of the rest or make a bachelors pen.

Thank you everyone - I have become so attached to these beautiful roos and don't know how I will be able to choose one or two.. My favourite is a very small cochin who only recently grew some feathers.. sort of the "ugly duckling" of the flock.. Do you think he would fit in with one other rooster and 9 hens? I don't want him to be pecked on.

i love that you are wanting to keep roosters. i hate them and eat them gladly. but i think it's very endearing that you've found a place in your heart for them.

I've built a bachelor pen for the roos I want to keep, but can't have in the same pen all at once. They seem do to okay by themselves, but let a girl be present, and they all lose their minds!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom