How many standard chickens in a 10x10 open run "coop".

It's 10 sq ft per chicken in the run.
3 to 4 sq ft per chicken in the coop depending on breed size (2 sq ft per bantam chicken in the coop)
1 ft of roost space per chicken in the coop

Answer in 10 chickens. But due to the coop (lifted for run space under the coop I am assuming) being inside the run, I'd knock it down to 6 to 8 chickens.

Chicken wire is not predator proof.
It is predator proof for my area. We don't have desperate predators, but I double wrap it as a precaution. The design of the run would work with hardware cloth too, so if somebody wanted to switch it they can.

I believe "predator proof" varies by area. Predators around me have plenty of food and don't want to waste time ripping through wire. And I definitely don't have anything large like bears around here.

So if your opinion predator proof is different from mine, so be it. I know the chicken wire can be a bit topic, but please, I don't want to be involved in an argument.

So about 8 chickens in this kind of coop?

That sounds about right to me, though I personally like giving them more space than minimum recommendation (so I'd advise 15-20 sq ft per bird in run vs the usual 10). But yes I'd say 8 should fit in that set up as long as the birds are well socialized to each other. Integrating could be problematic, or keeping breeds (or individual birds) that are flightier, more restless, etc.

Since you mentioned possibly adding a 8x12 run extension (though I'd make it walk in height, your back will thank me!) that would definitely make for a pretty happy flock of 8, or if you plan to build up the flock over time, should provide space to allow for integration of new members.

Alrighty good. Thank you :)
I have two 4 week old chicks (1 kinda mean Delaware and 1 very gentle/nice Barred Rock) now in a brooder inside my home.
BUT I will order 6 chicks from either Ideal Poultry or Hoover Hatchery once my current chicks are ready to go in the coop outside.
You might want to choose breeds also that "tolerate confinement well" if they will not be free ranging.:)
Funny, I have heard more people say that Delawares are mean more than any other breed. I am sure there are exceptions.

You might want to choose breeds also that "tolerate confinement well" if they will not be free ranging.:)
Funny, I have heard more people say that Delawares are mean more than any other breed. I am sure there are exceptions.
My Delaware chick is more hyper and will bite/peck at me and the Barred Rock chick for no reason, but will still fly up on my legs/shoulders and sit next to the Barred Rock.
I love the Barred Rock. It's so chilled out and nice all of the time.
(These two chicks were gifts)

I need to figure out which breeds I can add that do fine in very hot climates (I'm in Arizona), do well in confinement, and will be nice to my Barred Rock.

Some other other important matters are how often you can let them out to free ranging under supervision and how much space do you have on your roosts.

I recommend this article as a reference: How much room do chickens need

You could also make a Simple Predator Proof Poultry Run
It might take a while to build a run (it might extend to the nearest fence so like 8x12 and about 4' in height), but I will build that later, so it's completely predator safe.

I'm using 1/4" hardware cloth for all the coops "walls" and it has a metal roof.

My run is about the exact same size and height as yours. I have 7 standard sized, Easter Egger hens in there and they seem quite comfortable. I wish I had gone a bit bigger though, especially with winter rolling around they won't get out much. They have 2 swings and 3 perches and room to move around and 2 dust bath bins. Don't forget about space for those, especially in winter.
I built my 10x10 coop under 2 big shade trees, so my chickens don't overheat in the summer time.
The run will be almost in full sun, so that's why I built a smaller coop first under the trees.

Back
Top Bottom