How many standard chickens in a 10x10 open run "coop".

DesertGrrl

Songster
Sep 24, 2020
Arizona
I'm in the hot desert of Arizona.
I built a 10x10 ( with 8 foot height) run as an open coop for standard sized chickens (no solid walls, just hardware cloth).
They won't be free ranging (too many predators for that).
They will have a few nest boxes (either 3 or 4) and open roosts inside this open design.

How many chickens can I keep in it comfortably without issue?

Last edited:
My run is about the exact same size and height as yours. I have 7 standard sized, Easter Egger hens in there and they seem quite comfortable. I wish I had gone a bit bigger though, especially with winter rolling around they won't get out much. They have 2 swings and 3 perches and room to move around and 2 dust bath bins. Don't forget about space for those, especially in winter.

Attachments

• 20200430_073405.jpg
    20200430_073405.jpg
    1,002.8 KB · Views: 38
it's the same as my aquariums for my fish, and greenhouses and fenced gardens for plants - no matter how big you start with you'll wish it was bigger in no time at all :) but sounds like you're right on target, I've got 20 birds (some smaller breeds) in a 21 x 21 enclosure (8x8 coop inside) and they seem mighty happy in there. I actually have to spread treats in the back side to get them to go back and scratch around in the bedding back there to keep things fresh

Back to the topic of the OP---I wouldn't put more than 8 in your set up even when you do an expansion with the run. Speaking to the expansion you described, I would make it at least tall enough to walk in without bending over. Crouching down or being on your hands and knees isn't going to be fun if you need to spend any amount of time in there.

I have a combination open coop/run with 12 chickens (4 of them bantam size). There is "technically" room for 14, but 12 seems to be the magic number for me. They take turns in smaller groups rotating out into a tractor and also "free" range for about an hour a day under close supervision due to predators. It all depends on your individual birds/breeds/personalities. :)
Bigger is always better if you can!

Back
Top Bottom