How many standard chickens in a 10x10 open run "coop".

DesertGrrl

Songster
Sep 24, 2020
Arizona
I'm in the hot desert of Arizona.
I built a 10x10 ( with 8 foot height) run as an open coop for standard sized chickens (no solid walls, just hardware cloth).
They won't be free ranging (too many predators for that).
They will have a few nest boxes (either 3 or 4) and open roosts inside this open design.

How many chickens can I keep in it comfortably without issue?

Last edited:
It's 10 sq ft per chicken in the run.
3 to 4 sq ft per chicken in the coop depending on breed size (2 sq ft per bantam chicken in the coop)
1 ft of roost space per chicken in the coop

Answer in 10 chickens. But due to the coop (lifted for run space under the coop I am assuming) being inside the run, I'd knock it down to 6 to 8 chickens.

Some other other important matters are how often you can let them out to free ranging under supervision and how much space do you have on your roosts.

I recommend this article as a reference: How much room do chickens need

You could also make a Simple Predator Proof Poultry Run
It might take a while to build a run (it might extend to the nearest fence so like 8x12 and about 4' in height), but I will build that later, so it's completely predator safe.

I'm using 1/4" hardware cloth for all the coops "walls" and it has a metal roof.

My run is about the exact same size and height as yours. I have 7 standard sized, Easter Egger hens in there and they seem quite comfortable. I wish I had gone a bit bigger though, especially with winter rolling around they won't get out much. They have 2 swings and 3 perches and room to move around and 2 dust bath bins. Don't forget about space for those, especially in winter.

Attachments

• 20200430_073405.jpg
    20200430_073405.jpg
    1,002.8 KB · Views: 38
My run is about the exact same size and height as yours. I have 7 standard sized, Easter Egger hens in there and they seem quite comfortable. I wish I had gone a bit bigger though, especially with winter rolling around they won't get out much. They have 2 swings and 3 perches and room to move around and 2 dust bath bins. Don't forget about space for those, especially in winter.
I built my 10x10 coop under 2 big shade trees, so my chickens don't overheat in the summer time.
The run will be almost in full sun, so that's why I built a smaller coop first under the trees.

Back
Top Bottom