How many standard chickens in a 10x10 open run "coop".

Chicken wire is not predator proof.
It is predator proof for my area. We don't have desperate predators, but I double wrap it as a precaution. The design of the run would work with hardware cloth too, so if somebody wanted to switch it they can.

I believe "predator proof" varies by area. Predators around me have plenty of food and don't want to waste time ripping through wire. And I definitely don't have anything large like bears around here.

So if your opinion predator proof is different from mine, so be it. I know the chicken wire can be a bit topic, but please, I don't want to be involved in an argument.

Back to the topic of the OP---I wouldn't put more than 8 in your set up even when you do an expansion with the run. Speaking to the expansion you described, I would make it at least tall enough to walk in without bending over. Crouching down or being on your hands and knees isn't going to be fun if you need to spend any amount of time in there.

This is not my photo, but this is how basically my coop will look like, except full metal roof and all wood frame.
10x10 and 8ft height.

Attachments

• hredirect2 (3).jpeg
    hredirect2 (3).jpeg
    306.3 KB · Views: 28
So about 8 chickens in this kind of coop?

That sounds about right to me, though I personally like giving them more space than minimum recommendation (so I'd advise 15-20 sq ft per bird in run vs the usual 10). But yes I'd say 8 should fit in that set up as long as the birds are well socialized to each other. Integrating could be problematic, or keeping breeds (or individual birds) that are flightier, more restless, etc.

Since you mentioned possibly adding a 8x12 run extension (though I'd make it walk in height, your back will thank me!) that would definitely make for a pretty happy flock of 8, or if you plan to build up the flock over time, should provide space to allow for integration of new members.

That sounds about right to me, though I personally like giving them more space than minimum recommendation (so I'd advise 15-20 sq ft per bird in run vs the usual 10). But yes I'd say 8 should fit in that set up as long as the birds are well socialized to each other. Integrating could be problematic, or keeping breeds (or individual birds) that are flightier, more restless, etc.

Since you mentioned possibly adding a 8x12 run extension (though I'd make it walk in height, your back will thank me!) that would definitely make for a pretty happy flock of 8, or if you plan to build up the flock over time, should provide space to allow for integration of new members.
Alrighty good. Thank you :)
I have two 4 week old chicks (1 kinda mean Delaware and 1 very gentle/nice Barred Rock) now in a brooder inside my home.
BUT I will order 6 chicks from either Ideal Poultry or Hoover Hatchery once my current chicks are ready to go in the coop outside.

it's the same as my aquariums for my fish, and greenhouses and fenced gardens for plants - no matter how big you start with you'll wish it was bigger in no time at all :) but sounds like you're right on target, I've got 20 birds (some smaller breeds) in a 21 x 21 enclosure (8x8 coop inside) and they seem mighty happy in there. I actually have to spread treats in the back side to get them to go back and scratch around in the bedding back there to keep things fresh

I have a combination open coop/run with 12 chickens (4 of them bantam size). There is "technically" room for 14, but 12 seems to be the magic number for me. They take turns in smaller groups rotating out into a tractor and also "free" range for about an hour a day under close supervision due to predators. It all depends on your individual birds/breeds/personalities. :)
Bigger is always better if you can!

Alrighty good. Thank you :)
I have two 4 week old chicks (1 kinda mean Delaware and 1 very gentle/nice Barred Rock) now in a brooder inside my home.
BUT I will order 6 chicks from either Ideal Poultry or Hoover Hatchery once my current chicks are ready to go in the coop outside.
You might want to choose breeds also that "tolerate confinement well" if they will not be free ranging.:)
Funny, I have heard more people say that Delawares are mean more than any other breed. I am sure there are exceptions.

Back
Top Bottom