how many will fit

Nicola

Chook Cuddlin' Aussie
10 Years
Feb 23, 2009
ACT
i have 4 bantams hatching and a standard how many chickens will fit in this
and my friend will be getting on also how many silkies will fit in hers?

see post 13 for pics

Last edited:
Well, it says it can fit 5 chickens. I don't speak metric, BUT the measurements it gives are tiny. They must not include the run? maybe there are other opinions out there?

TOO small for 5-6 chickens. I have 10 chickens in a 12 x 12' coop.

Maybe good for 4 silkies. I'm thinking of getting some myself and someone told me that silkies don't roost so need lots of floor space.

"Fit" is such a loaded term. If you are selling a coop, it tends to mean "physically fit in there", e.g. in terms of providing adequate roost length. That is not necessarily what all chicken owners think of as "sufficient room for those chickens" though. (Although if you live in, like, Hawaii it *may* be)

Ignore mfrs' claims, do the math yourself and decide what you're comfortable with
smile.png

Pat

I would say "it depends". I have 6 standards in a 4ftx4ft hen house, and they are perfectly happy. But, they only roost in there at night and use the nest boxes to lay in. They have a large covered run to play in during the day (around 10 foot by 8 foot). Our climate allows them to be outdoors year round, so they don't need a large hen house.

yer the run space is small im thinking of making it bigger when it arrives by taking a peice of wire out and adding an exstension.

In feet it works out to be 6.7ft long x3.4ft high and 2.5ft deep

Last edited:
Quote:
so thats big enough for up to 5 bantams or silkies (it will be snug) or 4 bantams or silkies

I would guess it depends on how much time you plan on spending each day cleaning. I myself wouldn't put more than 2 birds in there. But that's a personal opinion. I am lazy and don't want to spend hours upon hours cleaning. Also depends on if they'll be allowed to free range at all. Etc.

But I'm thinking it would work out great for a few rabbits!

Back
Top Bottom