how much amoxicillan for injured chicken?

little_giant

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 26, 2009
one of my chickens cornish cross was wounded by a predator .
it was bit on its neck and ear but it is still alive and poops well and eats/drinks well.
i know that i have to let the wound heal and i heard that amoxicillan (antibiotic) will help it. except it says
AMOXICILLAN 500 MG capsules. do i crush it and put it in the water?
and how many pills per day? and for how many days?
thank You

a chick would need around 0.4 MG, it's a really bad idea to try and use a human 500mg dosage to try to medicate him, you would not be able to get an accurate dose. I would not use antibiotic for it unless absolutely necessary (ie infection) You can buy liquid amoxicillin for turtles, bird, fish or reptile at petco/petsmart and use a dropper to administer .4 mg. I personally would try to find avian antibiotics with proper dosage on the label and only resort to the turtle/fish/reptile meds if it were an emergency and I could not find it in time.
You can use neosporin on the wound but be sure that it is not triple antibiotic and does not contain any "caines" in it.

thank you!
there is a petco and a petsmart near me so ill go there soon.
and which type of amoxicillan shou;d i buy? (brand name?)
and will there be neosporin there?
and what is the price?
thank you!

Last edited:
also, should i put .4 MG of it in the water?
and there is another Cornish X (both 1 yr. old) chicken that is perfectly healthy (but really fat. it can still walk and run though).
is it OK if that one also drinks it?

Like I said I wouldn't use it unless it was infected and I would check for avian (bird) antibiotics first. I actually only will use an antibiotic in extreme emergencies. If you don't have a problem with him eating and drinking or have a severe infection on your hands, you want to put it in water without it harming the other chicken, and feel the need to give hhim something... I would use herbal remedies instead it is much safer. You can get echinacea at any drug store and also neosporin without any caines in it, please read the label to make sure on the neosporin, generic is fine as long as there are no caines in it. Echinacea is safe to use in the proper dosage and it won't harm the other healthy chicken, you can find it in liquid form or mix the capsules in feed. When you get it let me know how many MG's it is and I can tell you how to get the proper dosage. Also a little apple cider vinegar can be used in the water and is good for the immune system. A few drops of Vita sol is a good vitamin to use in the water, available at the pet store.

Back
Top Bottom