How much Apple Cider Vinegar do I put in a one gallon chick waterer?

MsChickenMomma

Crowing
10 Years
Dec 2, 2012
Michigan
I just got the email that my chicks from Meyer Hatchery shipped!
celebrate.gif
I was wondering how much apple cider vinegar I need to put in their one gallon waterer. I've been searching for about 20 minutes on the forums and I can't seem to find the answer! Also, how long do I give them the apple cider vinegar? One day? Three days? This is the first time i've given chicks ACV, and I don't want to do it wrong!

Thanks Everyone!
wee.gif

I go for about a Tbsp. and I just eyeball it. I don't do it the first couple days and I only do it about 3 or 4 times a week. That's just the way I do it. You won't do it wrong so relax.
I also put a little honey, agave nectar or sugar in the water for shipped chicks to give a little energy boost.
I do have a probiotic powder that I give them in the water about day 3 to get some beneficial bacteria in them. You can also feed yogurt to do the same thing.

I'm just starting to give my chicks ACV also! Here's a couple things I've recently learned...
First, make sure it RAW and UNFILTERED ACV.
Second, the ACV will corrode galvanized steel and possibly make the water toxic. So make sure your waterer is plastic. Mine is steel and I'm having to go buy a plastic one.
sad.png

What is the apple cider vinegar for?
There's an older thread with lots of info about ACV: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/586961/why-do-you-guys-give-your-chickens-apple-cider-vinegar

Here's the most extensive post by Chris09:
"It is said that -
Apple Cider vinegar benefits are:

*Reduces intestinal and fecal odors.
*Aids in digestion.
*Helps to break down minerals and fats.
*Assists the animal to assimilate proteins.
*Assists the animal to convert food better.
*It lowers the pH of the digestive tract which will make an environment less welcoming to pathogens therefore may reduce common infections and increases resistance to disease.
*Improves stamina and fertility.
*It is a great overall tonic that will improve the general well being of the animal.
If started while Birds are young (1-1/2 to 2weeks), birds
*Will feather out quicker.
*Are hardier.
*Grow to their potential sooner when used with an adequate feed.

Apple Cider Vinegar is rich in the vitamins, minerals and trace elements found in apples, especially potassium. It will normalize pH levels in the stomach, improve digestion and the assimilation of nutrients.

Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) wont work as a "Natural" Wormier it has little affect on worms.

As for what type of Apple Cider Vinegar to use, any type of Raw Apple Cider Vinegar with mother (It doesn't have to be organic) will work.

Cautions:
Do not use metal water dishes (except stainless steal).
Vinegar should not be used internally with animals that have an irritated lining of the intestinal tract.
Do not use Apple Cider Vinegar wile treating for worms or coccidiosis.

Chris"

I'm just starting to give my chicks ACV also! Here's a couple things I've recently learned...
First, make sure it RAW and UNFILTERED ACV. 
Second, the ACV will corrode galvanized steel and possibly make the water toxic. So make sure your waterer is plastic. Mine is steel and I'm having to go buy a plastic one. :(

Yup! Our waterer is plastic, and we have raw unfiltered ACV. My mom likes to take it for health reasons so we're all set!

One other question. Do I give them the ACV in every gallon of water they get, or do I do every other gallon?

Back
Top Bottom