How Much Bread is To Much!!

PD-Riverman

Crowing
8 Years
Jan 14, 2012
Conway SC
Anyone done any research on feeding bread to your chickens. Heard all about crop impaction?? We all know layers need good feed to lay good so we will feed them a little bread. How about some roosters---how much bread is to much bread for them?? I might be coming into a decent amount of bread each week to feed some hogs?? Just trying to do a little research on how Much is to much for the chickens??

I did not see anything those links that addresses crop compaction, maybe I missed it. I did see where they were sometimes fed bread. It was interesting reading though. I don't know if your question is about crop compaction or nutritional values. You are more of a commercial type operation than a typical backyard flock. I can certainly understand you looking for a good source of inexpensive feed. Your feed bill has to be impressive.

I've seen a few warnings on here about possible crop compaction but nothing more than "bread can cause crop compaction". I certainly haven't seen why. They don't mention type of bread either. If you take certain kinds of bread and wad it up in your hand it can form a kind of lump, there might be something to it, I don't know. Their digestive juices might or might not prevent that.

I toss bread to mine all the time as part of kitchen wastes. Usually it's a pretty small amount but occasionally the wife has an entire loaf that can go. I don't throw the entire loaf to them but spread it out over two or three days. I have a relatively small flock and they will eat bread like candy. I feed stuff like that in moderation, at least most of the time.

As far as nutrition, what else are you feeding them? What kinds of bread and what is the nutritional value of everything you are feeding them including the bread? They need an overall balanced diet consisting of the nutrients they need in certain proportions. That can differ a little between layers and meat birds. Protein is important but it's a lot of other nutrients, vitamins, and minerals too. Even if I knew all that I don't have the expertise to make that assessment for you.

Maybe your county extension office can help with that. That would be my call.

Anyone done any research on feeding bread to your chickens. Heard all about crop impaction?? We all know layers need good feed to lay good so we will feed them a little bread. How about some roosters---how much bread is to much bread for them?? I might be coming into a decent amount of bread each week to feed some hogs?? Just trying to do a little research on how Much is to much for the chickens??
As you can see from the photo, people here in WI take advantage of cheap/free stale bread to supplement food costs.:D It's a pic of my cockerel Kebechet - "just call me Chet" in his new home in the country. At first I was agast to see they what they were feeding my boy, but really as adults they mostly free range. So I think its all good, at least he avoided the stew pot for now and snuck into the pullet pen to take charge of the flock of girls which were destined to be his anyway.

My girls I did give small amounts of bread as a special treat only. They seem to value it very highly, like we do say...donuts? I would think too much would not be good. JMO

PS I dont think crop impaction is an issue.

Attachments

• kebechet.jpg
    kebechet.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 7
I did not see anything those links that addresses crop compaction, maybe I missed it. I did see where they were sometimes fed bread. It was interesting reading though. I don't know if your question is about crop compaction or nutritional values. You are more of a commercial type operation than a typical backyard flock. I can certainly understand you looking for a good source of inexpensive feed. Your feed bill has to be impressive.

I've seen a few warnings on here about possible crop compaction but nothing more than "bread can cause crop compaction". I certainly haven't seen why. They don't mention type of bread either. If you take certain kinds of bread and wad it up in your hand it can form a kind of lump, there might be something to it, I don't know. Their digestive juices might or might not prevent that.

I toss bread to mine all the time as part of kitchen wastes. Usually it's a pretty small amount but occasionally the wife has an entire loaf that can go. I don't throw the entire loaf to them but spread it out over two or three days. I have a relatively small flock and they will eat bread like candy. I feed stuff like that in moderation, at least most of the time.

As far as nutrition, what else are you feeding them? What kinds of bread and what is the nutritional value of everything you are feeding them including the bread? They need an overall balanced diet consisting of the nutrients they need in certain proportions. That can differ a little between layers and meat birds. Protein is important but it's a lot of other nutrients, vitamins, and minerals too. Even if I knew all that I don't have the expertise to make that assessment for you.

Maybe your county extension office can help with that. That would be my call.

No I was not asking about just crop impaction----just saying I have heard of it.

Just for info, at my peak some time back it was costing $200+ per week to feed the flock---I Love "playing with the chickens" and wanted to step back up the numbers with the flock. I know of 2 people that raise a lot of animals and they say the chickens are only fed bread, BUT free range in the pasture's behind the cow's etc. A little scratch some time. I asked both at different time if they felt feeding a lot of bread was healthy for the chickens----they both said the same thing-----"I been doing it a long time and they look fine" LOL. I know neither have researched the good and bad. AND I do not have cows for them to dig through the "Chips". I have a chance of getting a lot of bread/sweet cakes so I was just seeing if anyone had done any research on this. Sure I throw the chickens scraps and older bread---never much because with so many chickens at times a few pieces don't go far. SO, if I get in on the Bread deal----I was trying to do some research to see ---How Much is To Much??

me and my mum went shopping at about 8;00 everynight and bought bread for about 1p each! We used some of the bread but we did give the hens about two loaves everyday! We wondered why the hens were not laying, BREAD! Bread stops them laying!!!!
So we only gave them a couple of slices a day (I have 7 hens).....so...yeah!!!
;)

me and my mum went shopping at about 8;00 everynight and bought bread for about 1p each! We used some of the bread but we did give the hens about two loaves everyday! We wondered why the hens were not laying, BREAD! Bread stops them laying!!!!
So we only gave them a couple of slices a day (I have 7 hens).....so...yeah!!!
;)
From what I am reading..the studies...it's not so much the bread that stops them from laying...it's because they are not getting a balanced diet.
(I CAN NOT BELIEVE I AM ABOUT TO SAY THIS:) So feeding bread every now and then is not bad.

What PD wants to know is if anyone feeds only bread or a mostly bread diet.
(@PD-Riverman I'm reading still)

you mentioned bread and sweet bread.
you got a nutrition label for these breads that I can read too?

Back
Top Bottom