How much compensation for chicken killed by loose dog?

I would ask for $20 for the killed chicken (unless she's a special breed or you paid more for her), and the cost of medicine/time for the maimed one. That's nice of them to offer to compensate. How did the dogs get into your chicken area?

Thanks all. May not happen again, because the owners were actually worried that dogs have been shot when they went missing. They know the consequences. They are actual livestock guard dogs (Goats).

However my partner is pretty pissed, so $25 probably won’t cut it! “What about our time and stress?” But like someone else said I don’t want to be outrageous.

They were both good layers, A 2yo
and a 4yo - of course I don’t know if the injured one will make it or continue laying the same way.So I’m inclined to charge for two birds (and sick bird is time consuming)

Breeds nothing fancy, one white Rock (?) one Buff orpington
(white one has yellow legs and large Warm-brown eggs

They are 100% organically fed.

is it too much to say $150?

I guess I'm somewhere in between. The birds might only be worth $25 each , but I think if the neighbors are serious about wanting to settle things without hassle and ill feelings, you can tack on a little more. Depending on the medical care you think the survivor needs, maybe $100 would be reasonable? Although obviously if you plan to get veterinary care or any medication for the survivor, that amount could go up, especially if you can compile a list of medical items you'd need and the costs.

They were both good layers, A 2yo and a 4yo - of course I don’t know if the injured one will make it or continue laying the same way.So I’m inclined to charge for two birds (and sick bird is time consuming)

Breeds nothing fancy, one white Rock (?) one Buff orpington
(white one has yellow legs and large Warm-brown eggs

They are 100% organically fed.

is it too much to say $150?

A few ways to establish the value of the chickens:

https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/started_pullets.html
This site sells "started pullets." They are almost old enough to lay eggs.
You could price 2 birds there, and remember to include the shipping cost (which is high).

This one is good because it's very easy to explain: "these are the closest we can find to same breed/same age from a reputable source."

Or you could price two chicks, enough more chicks to equal the minimum order from a hatchery, plus shipping, the food to raise them to laying age, maybe something for your time, maybe electricity cost for the heat lamp... That's more bother to add up, but also pretty easy to justify as "fair replacement cost."

Or you could look on craigslist or for ads in the feed store, and price birds there.
(But you might not consider those birds comparable, for reasons of health, possible disease risk, and not being certain of what breed they are.)

I love my chickens but a 4 year old chicken has no monetary value. A 2 year old chicken I would expect to cost between $5 and $15. If it's something where you have only a very small flock left and will have to replace the hens, you could ask them to pay for the replacements, along with the care for the injured bird. That should still be less than $60, unless you are getting a vet involved.

If you are in an extremely wealthy neighborhood, or your neighbors seem extremely wealthy, you could just ask for whatever you think they can afford. Times are tight for a lot of people (sometimes including for those that don't look like they are struggling) so keep that in mind.

You might get a lot more than you could reasonably request if you just ask them what they think is fair.

Back
Top Bottom