How much did you spend on feed this week?

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
I just made my twice monthly trip to the feed store.

Four 50# bags of allway kernels (flockraiser), one 50# bag of black rooster (scratch grains) and two 10# bags of oyster shell. Total $74.

I explained to the clerk that I will no longer buy their 50# bags of oyster shell because it is mostly powder. She said she would have her husband (the store owner) look into it.

Hoping this feed will last me most of the month. I'm feeing 30+ chickens.
fl.gif

Goodness! I thought my horse was expensive, but he only cost me two bags of grain per month for most of the year. What eats me up is the hay for the other 4 months.

Can I ask? What do you do with all those chickens? Eggs? Meat? Just a hobby?

Quote:
My chickens are a hobby for me, giving me something to do. I sell all my large eggs keeping the banty and less than perfectly formed eggs for us and my stepchildren's families. Right now I have a waiting list for eggs because my older hens are molting.

I pay $6 for a square bale of hay for my nestboxes. With our drought I know the price of hay is going to go through the roof this winter. The cows found and ate the last bale I had stored.
somad.gif
I plan to stock up on bales before winter sets in.

Three weeks ago, I bought my last flock raiser - it had gone up from $18.15 a 50 pound bag to $19.75 a bag.

Earlier in the week, I went to a new feed store, got 22% feed (FR is 20%) for $16.55 a bag. Every dollar saved is great - I have been going thru 12 bags of feed a month
th.gif

I was going to get some BOSS also - but 50 pounds was $51.95 - over a dollar a pound
barnie.gif

Thankfully, the grow out boys, and the project pullets are getting to a point I can start picking those who stay and sending freezer camp invites to the others. My chickens eat more in a month than I do (course I do eat their eggs and them - so it all works out).

absolutely nothing.
My girls are really enjoying the clover and dandelions and bugs in the yard. They enjoy a few zucchini and some over ripe corn on the cob. They have been not eating as much feed. Egg shell quality is great, flavor excellent.
I haven't read the other posts, but I am wondering if a price hike prompted this thread? I imagine prices are going to keep rising with too much rain, drought in other areas, natural disasters, flooding, etc.....
ETA: I, too, have noticed that the 50lb bags of oyster shell are nothing but dust. I now just buy the little bags. I put the oyster shell 'dust' in the garden to help the tomatoes along.

Last edited:
My gang hasn't needed feed for a couple of months now! They wander our 10 acres and have been feasting on grasshoppers and other juicy bugs, as well as the zucchini they discovered in the garden (I really do need to fence that off!). A couple of the girls are molting right now, but my "Lucky" has started laying and has given me 4 small eggs in 5 days now. Their new coop will hopefully be done by next week and they'll all be locked in for a couple of days until they adjust to the new locale!
lol.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom