How much do Silkies lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dowie, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Dowie

Dowie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    I want silkies! They are so cute - but are they pitiful on the egg laying front? I have two bantam cochins (pekins here in australia) and they only lay three months a year! Pathetic.

2. equinelyn

equinelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Southern York County
    I heard that silkies aren't the best layers. I've had my hen for a few months and she is quite a frequent layer. I get at least one every other day. I can't say how she will do throughout winter though. I love my silkies though!!!

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

The one of mine that IS laying generally lays 5 little eggs a week. Of course it'd take about 3 of them to equal a "big girl" egg...lol. The other lays zero eggs, because she's taking forever to START!!! [​IMG]

4. branston

branston Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Virginia
    I have 6 Silkies, 5 hens and a rooster, and only one hen lays. She laid a tiny egg a day for three weeks and then went broody. We're now on day 5 of her setting on two perfect little eggs and we are very excited indeed! She comes off the nest for about 20 minutes every morning and then heads back for the rest of the day. We named her aptly.....Big Mama! Not sure if the eggs are fertile as the all the rooster seems to be able to do is pull the hens hair, head first!

5. Dowie

Dowie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Wow, I forgot about the broody side. Hmmmm....they are so cute though!

6. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    [​IMG]
    My silkies are absolutely terrible layers... I only get maybe 10 eggs a cycle; each cycle being about 3 months [​IMG]

7. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    mine are pretty good til they go broody, I don't light mine over the winter so all my birds along with the silkies quite laying

8. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I have two Silkie hens and they lay about an egg every other day.

One is broody now, so I get an egg every other day from the other one.

[​IMG]

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Surprisingly my hatchery quality silkies are decent layers, or at least one is. One has a shell forming problem. The other, Jethro, will lay approx. four eggs a week....

And then go broody again. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by