How much do Silkies lay?

Dowie

Songster
8 Years
Apr 29, 2011
I want silkies! They are so cute - but are they pitiful on the egg laying front? I have two bantam cochins (pekins here in australia) and they only lay three months a year! Pathetic.

I heard that silkies aren't the best layers. I've had my hen for a few months and she is quite a frequent layer. I get at least one every other day. I can't say how she will do throughout winter though. I love my silkies though!!!

The one of mine that IS laying generally lays 5 little eggs a week. Of course it'd take about 3 of them to equal a "big girl" egg...lol. The other lays zero eggs, because she's taking forever to START!!!
hmm.png

I have 6 Silkies, 5 hens and a rooster, and only one hen lays. She laid a tiny egg a day for three weeks and then went broody. We're now on day 5 of her setting on two perfect little eggs and we are very excited indeed! She comes off the nest for about 20 minutes every morning and then heads back for the rest of the day. We named her aptly.....Big Mama! Not sure if the eggs are fertile as the all the rooster seems to be able to do is pull the hens hair, head first!

Wow, I forgot about the broody side. Hmmmm....they are so cute though!

frow.gif

My silkies are absolutely terrible layers... I only get maybe 10 eggs a cycle; each cycle being about 3 months
roll.png

Surprisingly my hatchery quality silkies are decent layers, or at least one is. One has a shell forming problem. The other, Jethro, will lay approx. four eggs a week....

And then go broody again.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom