how much do you charge for your eggs?

I charge $2. It pays for the girls feed and a little extra for treats so others are paying for my eggs and my hobby. I tried $2.50 and they did not move. People here sell them $1-$2 a dozen. Anytime I see someone price higher, they dont stay at that for long. I have educated my customers on what it costs for the eggs to be produced with a flyer of chick costs, feed costs, how many eggs a chicken can produce. More have been leaving the girls a "tip" since I put up the flyer. I also included answers to questions about the different color eggs, feed type,. etc so I used it as an educational bulletin.

When I start selling eggs I'm not going to start at less than $2.00 a doz. My girlfriend has been selling her beautiful brown eggs for $1.00 a doz and I'm telling her that's giving them away and insist on giving her $2.00. Now she's scared about even selling them with the recent recall scares. I'm not worried and can't wait for that first egg! I'm goofy over my girls and the little dude. I never imagined having chickens would be soo relaxing, but they are for me. They're also making me a lot more content to stay home since gas prices are high and I'm not running around as much as I used to. I don't expect my egg sales to pay for my new building but it'll be nice to have it pay for the feed and other supplies.

I have given my friends fair warning that the eggs are starting out at $2.00 a dozen, because the girls just started laying and their eggs are not consistently full size, but they will eventually go up in price. No one has complained. I also noticed that everyone who is selling eggs in my area are only selling the typical brown eggs. I love having a rainbow spectrum to sell. I find it terribly convenient that our eggs were finally ready for sale starting last week...the same time the salmonella scare has been made public. Sad for the commercial farmers...but perfect timing for us hobby/small farmers!

Another thing...I rather sell them in a timely fashion (for cheap) than have them go to waste! So far our extras get scrambled and fed back to the chickens.

Last edited:
I may have already posted to this thread, but I wanted to add that I've recently gotten more customers due to the salmonella scare with commercial eggs. The news has shown both white and brown eggs in video clips, so one of the gals at work who used to buy "organic, free range" brown eggs is now one of my customers.

EVERYONE is delighted with the varied colors of the eggs in the carton(s) they receive - for $3.00. I try to include 2 green, 2 very dark brown, and ONLY 2 white eggs in the mix. The rest are light brown, very pale tan, medium brown, and almost pink.

Back
Top Bottom