how much do you charge for your eggs?

I'm out in the country and our local feed store has a big fridge he keeps local eggs in. During the summer we all average $2 a dozen. During the winter months I get $3 a dozen since I'm the only one in the immediate area who has winter layers.

Here's what I did. I went to the store and looked at the price of "free range" and "cage free" eggs. They are close to $4.00 a dozen. I priced my eggs at $3.00 a dozen, or $2.50 if they return the carton. Of course, the first dozen is always free! lol I'm a great wanna be drug dealer.

Last edited:
Quote:
No, my hens are not separated from my Rooster. Even a lot of store bought "free range" eggs are often fertile. It's actually pretty common. There's a whole thread (or more) about it here on BYC. Keeping my rooster apart from my hens would defeat the purpose of HAVING him. Fertile eggs are just a by product for me. I could get fertile eggs for a hen to sit on from a seller. I have my rooster because he's added security while the girls are free ranging in the yard. He keeps the order, and makes sure they stay safe. If I kept him separate from the hens, I wouldn't have that. Also, being a flock bird, I'd have to get him company. It wouldn't be kind to keep him alone.

I started charging $3.50 a dozen and sell 3 dozen for $10.00. One customer started paying me $4.00 a dozen because he said they were worth it. Who am I to argue with him. The customer is always right, right?

We are just giving eggs away to family....

That said we do have roosters, to the eggs are also fertile. No one has yet to have a problem with them possibly being fertile
smile.png
. Not sure if i'll start selling them as the youngsters grow up and we have more and more eggs being laid... we'll see.

Here in the valley where they're more readily available, we average $4-$4.50 per dozen, but I have a friend selling them in Girdwood (a small ski town) for $6 a dozen and she can't keep them in stock. I can sell them to her for $4 a dozen guaranteed and she can re-sell them and still make a profit.

Then again, feed costs a fortune up here so I guess it makes sense.

well-the neighbors have been asking $1.50 dz. and getting it so thats where I started(about 3 months ago) and none of us can keep eggs provided now so I am going to $2 as its a cheap great protein and if anyone WERE to balk at the price I would start eating them myself(rarely eat them now-fat content) because I would just remove most of the yolks thus getting less fat(ramble). we have a functioning cockerel and nobodys asked about fertility and if they do I will tell them and let them decide. only have 18 layers and am trying to produce more. love the chickens!

Right now I'm getting $2/doz because that's what the family down the road is getting. Our local feed mile has a refrigerator from which he resells locally grown eggs. He buys local eggs for $1.50/doz and sells for $1.75. Most of the eggs he sells are x-large or jumbo sized. Currently my girls are laying large and x-large with an occasional jumbo, but they just started laying mid-July. I'm getting more x-large and jumbo sized eggs every week. (size is based on weight. 2 to 2.2 ounces is large, 2.3-2.4 is x-large, 2.5+ is jumbo in the USA. This varies in other countries. Wikipedia has a good article on eggs.)

When it's winter and I still have eggs I'll raise the price to $3/doz. I'm mostly selling from my father in law's farm stand next door and to friends. My mother in law takes a small cooler to her Bible studies and sells all she brings. She gets all the free eggs she wants for her own use.
smile.png

As for the fertile egg issue, we don't have any roosters. It's never come up in any of the conversations I've had with folks who come by to pick up eggs they've bought. I'm not anti-rooster, but for my first flock I didn't want to deal with a roo. If I needed to borrow one for more babies, I have a friend who would loan me hers for a week.

Organic, free-range eggs at Meijer's this week are $3.39/doz. Not sure how they can sell that category of eggs for that little, considering the amount of paperwork you have to do to be certified organic. Maybe they're fertile, I don't know. And I'm not sure the quality of life a production "free-range" hen has, either.

Last edited:
I only charge $1.50 a dozen. That's about all we can get around these parts. Believe it or not, I have several customers who refuse to pay $1.50 a dozen. They will give me anywhere from $2.00 - $3.00 a dozen. My "organic" customers generously give me $3.00 a dozen. They say that they paid $5.00 a dozen when they were buying organic eggs in the grocery store. They tell me that they know that feed is high and they want to contribute to my feed bill by buying the eggs at a higher price. I have great customers!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom