how much do you charge for your eggs?

$4 a doz in the winter to locals
Otherwise starting in a few weeks its going back up to the summer price of $5 a doz and $3.50 a half.

for me this barely covers the cost of chicken feed because i go through 100 pounds of feed a week @ $14.99 for 50#
Mine free range and some don't even use a coop at night. they prefer 20ft up a tree, but this winter they came in when it got below 20. its pretty cool to see this giant pine tree covered in many different colors of chickens.

When I was in Ireland I was surprised to see eggs sold from the shelf in a store (not in a refrigerated section). How long can you safely keep eggs out and not in the refrige?

We had just started selling our eggs for $3.00 a dozen for organic and partially free range. We had gone for about 2 weeks when we heard though a friend about a family with 10 kids whose husband and wife had both lost their jobs. They were eating anywhere from 2-3 dozen eggs a day. We immediately stopped selling and have been giving all but a dozen to them (we get 1-1 1/2 dozen a day). We feel a lot better knowing that we are helping a family, and we had just been selling them to pay for the chicken/goat feed anyway

To Katie09: HOw very kind of you! I wish we could all donate a dozen fresh eggs to even a food pantry . . . or find a family via a soup kitchen. THe church ministers also know who are the families in need. Thank you for an inspiring story.

$1.50 / Dozen..... not trying to make any money, just buy a bag of feed occasionally along with a bale of pine shavings! (everyone else around me sells for $2.00 to $3.50 a dozen....) I also donate any unsold eggs every two weeks to a local food pantry over in Kokomo, IN
smile.png

Quote:
how would you define "Organic" eggs?

Chickens that are fed organic feeds so thus the eggs are considered organic. My chickens, even though they are pastured, do eat scratch that is not labeled "organic". So thus, my chicken's eggs cannot be labeled "organic".

well my chicks are only 4 weeks old now so its going to be some time before they are ready to start laying but up here the going prices in central maine are from 2 to 3 a dozen for farm fresh eggs and next week im going to be paying 2 a dozen for fertlized chicken eggs for hatching ive only got 10 chicks now but ill be giving away my extra eggs to family or the local food pantry i know my family that said they want eggs will be bringing over bags of feed anyways my mom and dad said if i can give them 2 dozen a week they will buy a bag of feed a month and no im not living with them ive got my own house the chickens are a pet thing me and my wife wanted to try

Back
Top Bottom