How much do you hold/handle your chickies? Pet one's...

Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Songster
9 Years
Feb 22, 2010
Plant City, FL.
I had 5 babies--hatched this past monday and got them wed...there doing REally well but I don't know how much handling it "too" much and what is "too" little? My ROO boy is definetely the friendliest (weird huh?) and always comes running to greet me and wants to be on me...momma's boy I guess?
lau.gif
Then his sister Austerlorp and BO are the next friendliest but I REally need to work on my crazy EE and GLW---spunky little girls!!! So, what's your typical? Just curious!!!
hu.gif

I usually don't handle mine much at all, but I don't expect my adult chickens to want to be held either...NOW, for the banties that my son is going to use for 4H showmanship, I tell him to handle them as much as he wants, I don't think you can do it too much for birds for that purpose.

I handled mine as much as they would tolerate, and it has paid off in the fact that I can catch them all if I need to pick them up, and some of the hens actually like to sit on my lap or next to me.

i handle mine all the time.all my older chickens also love to be held and that makes it easier to deal with any problems that arise...

I handle mine a lot on the weekends. Not a lot on week nights, because I get home just before it gets dark and I think it's best to let babies rest at nighttime as much as possible. And, of course, the grown up chickens put themselves to bed.

Every other week I get a 3 day weekend, so that's an extra day of attention to give them all day long. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom