How much do you pay a chicken sitter?

cristina

Chirping
12 Years
Apr 29, 2011
Lloyd Harbor
I really have no idea...i am thinking $10/day + eggs.
I will have the person coming from locally (within 5 miles) and am asking them to come 2x/day - to let them out of their coop in the morning, hang out with them a little, and then return in the evening to put them back into their coop.
Any suggestions for pay rate?
I live in NY (Queens)

I have an answer for myself!
I just spoke to someone in the area who seemed VERY happy with $10/day + eggs. She's a vet tech.
I'm happy! I can go away for Memorial Day weekend in peace now!

I'm new to most of this bird stuff, so be sure to wait for others to chime in.

We are fortunate to have a neighbor that takes care of our birds when we have the need. Last summer we left town for a month and she didn't charge a dime and refused to take my money. She also raises animals and knows we will help her out too.

However, we are trying to design our place such that taking care of these critters is quick and easy.

To me, $10 a day sounds ok, if it's a quick and easy task and they are doing it as a favor and not for money. However, with gas prices as high as they are, you might want to pay for that too. Remember, you will be having these folks drive about 20 miles a day..... times how many days... at over $4 per gallon of the cheap stuff.

Good luck....

Quote:
Count yourselves lucky - gas prices here in France are about 1.60 euros a litre for gas ( petrol ) and 1.35 for diesel - that equates to about 8.50 USD for gas and about 7.15 USD diesel.

However our French neighbours are happy to look after our chickens, and house and even dog for nothing - just the eggs.
smile.png

I paid a woman who had to travel 30 miles $20 per day and eggs. With fuel prices what they are I thought that I was getting a good deal.
My ladies were still mad when I came home being cooped up for a week. Normally they are free range.

Jen
hen crazy 4 big mommas
5 chicks hoping the chicks are all hens

I'm going away this weekend too. My sitter charges $16 for each time she has to come to the house. She will be coming twice one day so we're talking $32 for that day. I think she is high but I feel bad asking someone else to do it.

Back
Top Bottom