How much do you sell your baby chicks for?

I would love to get some more nankins but I just bought 13 chicks and now I have no room left in my coop. I am considering breeding the Nankins I have in a few years but I'm not sure if they are all pure Nankin or if some of them are mixes.
If you can post some pictures, we can probably take a good guess. They're pretty "typey" little birds, so it's often easy to tell most crosses. Regardless, please keep in touch. We can all compare notes!
There is a Nankin thread here on BYC, too. It's not terribly active, but there is a dedicated handful of Nankin people who stay in touch pretty regularly. That's a good place to check in ... and out!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/nankin-bantams.1216042/

Where I’m at in California, common breeds like RIRs, barred rocks, leghorns, and the sex linked varieties are typically $4 SR and $5-6 for pullets at a day old. Rarer breeds go for $12-15 and these are hatchery stock chicks at my local feed stores. Local breeders will sell higher for quality birds. It all depends on the breed, quality of bird, and where youre located.

It’s easier to sell for more when you don’t have to complete with TSC or other farm and feed shops. Around here (rural VA) the right person has to be looking for what you have if it’s an uncommon breed. They are skeptical about paying more for breeds they are not familiar with so you have to talk them up in your ads. I was chatting about olive eggers with a gentleman who came to buy some Easter eggers and he had no idea what that meant. I can sell olive eggers for $6 apiece and silkies for $8. I sell “unusual barnyard mixes” for $4 but I make sure that I make them sound fantastic and unusual, because they are. Like my Silkbars (silkie x legbar) and Spitzbars!

It also depends on what your stock looks like, and egg color depending on the person.

I’ll sell people what I call a rainbow flock. It refers to the egg colors they’ll lay in the future. It usually includes a few each of Ameraucanas, Black Copper Marans, Croad Langshans, and Olive Eggers. That way they get blue, pink, dark brown, and green eggs.

So many things can affect the pricing of hatching eggs, chicks, started birds, or adults. I've seen English Silver-laced Orpingtons going for $80.00 a chick online with one dozen hatching eggs going for $120.00. That's insane and I could never get it in the rural town where I am located.

I miss the Nankins I used to raise. Although I've discovered they may not have been pure. I forget the name of the breeder I got them from, it's been fifteen years ago, but they were involved in the Nankin Club. All of the hens had faint pencilling on their feathers. And I believe my line could be sexed at hatching. They were tiny adorable little birds. My first rooster Squeaky was quite the character. And certainly had Napoleon Syndrome. He'd try to take on all the big roosters. lol

I agree with depends on breed, I bought silkies for $40.00 for 5 with a free cross beak she claims didn't know it was. I'm looking at a neat breed of Polish $10-15 a piece.

So many things can affect the pricing of hatching eggs, chicks, started birds, or adults. I've seen English Silver-laced Orpingtons going for $80.00 a chick online with one dozen hatching eggs going for $120.00. That's insane and I could never get it in the rural town where I am located.

I miss the Nankins I used to raise. Although I've discovered they may not have been pure. I forget the name of the breeder I got them from, it's been fifteen years ago, but they were involved in the Nankin Club. All of the hens had faint pencilling on their feathers. And I believe my line could be sexed at hatching. They were tiny adorable little birds. My first rooster Squeaky was quite the character. And certainly had Napoleon Syndrome. He'd try to take on all the big roosters. lol

I LOVE my Nankins! They are wonderful, personable, colorful little birds. My first Nankin was a rooster named - of all things - Purdue. Purdue was absolutely gorgeous, looking like something out of a child's story book - and had an enormous personality. He's the standard I still judge my boys by, many, many years later.

I see you're in Texas, east/central-ish? If you ever decide to get into Nankins again, there's a fellow in Georgia who has some really nice single combs (@cobra3073). If you're ever on the East Coast - I've usually got a breeding pair or half-grown rose-comb chicks that could use a new home. And there's always Williamsburg, VA. You may be able to get some hatching eggs shipped from there. They have a really nice flock.

If you can post some pictures, we can probably take a good guess. They're pretty "typey" little birds, so it's often easy to tell most crosses. Regardless, please keep in touch. We can all compare notes!
There is a Nankin thread here on BYC, too. It's not terribly active, but there is a dedicated handful of Nankin people who stay in touch pretty regularly. That's a good place to check in ... and out!
I posted some pictures of the chickens I'm not sure of, all of them have slate legs but the color or the size is off. I hope you can help me tell if they are pure Nankin or not. Thank you!
_DSC3703.JPG

_DSC1966.JPG

_DSC4846.JPG

_DSC1322 (1).JPG

_DSC1391.JPG

If they're not pure, they're pretty darned close. They look like hatchery or backyard quality to me - a good start if you want to start breeding up (or in this case, down) with them. The real clue that you have Nannies is in the baby pics. The smooth yellow fuzzies with the black Morse code on their heads is all Nanny!
I wish you were closer to Maryland! I have a beautiful single comb rooster (the only one in our rose-comb flock) who would throw some gorgeous color on your girls!

Lay year in NEO I got $15 reach for 4 month old pullets, barred rock or RIR.
This year, I haven't had a bite on any of them, took them to the sale in Inola sold 3 12 wk old roos and 3 pullets for $22. Total.

Normally I don't sell them under 12 weeks, but $5 each for young ones and at least $10 was pretty standard.

I've found that this summer nothing is selling, underpriced or otherwise.

Nothing. Not poultry, cattle, horses, furniture, tools, etc. Nothing.

Back
Top Bottom