How much feed & do u buy organic??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickachicka, Jun 16, 2009.

1. chickachicka

chickachicka In the Brooder

Jun 11, 2009
    Hi![​IMG]
    I am loving BYC! I am getting 4 chicks soon & I was wondering once they are older & eating layer pellets, about how much food do they eat per month? I'm just trying to see how many pounds of layer pellets we will be needing. I wanted to buy organic. BUT the shipping is like $17 & so 50 pounds of feed for the month comes out to $40. [​IMG] Now my local Agway has plain old feed for $15. I wish they carried organic![​IMG]

Thanks for reading!!

2. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    call all the feed stores around you often they dont keep organic instock but can order. Any company that carries BLUE SEAL will be able to get you organic feed since Blue seal makes it. It is hard to say how much they eat it depends on how many you have, I get 6-8 50 ld baggs almost every month for my flocks. If it will ever stop raining here I will be able to grow more crops and suppliment a bit since I pay aprox $250-$350 a month on feed alone [​IMG]

3. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Songster

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    I just use chick starter/grower. But my girls and one rooster get to free range daily so they eat Organic! Whatever you do dont buy your feed in advance it does get stale and old! I buy a 50 lb bag like once every week or two!

4. Judy

Judy Crowing

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I have 4 hens who free range. It takes them over a month to go through 25 lbs, which I buy in the grocery store, because they mostly find their own food. I don't buy organic.

5. farrier!

farrier! Songster

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I do not feed medicated feed so if I wanted to spend the 300+ dollars a year to be certified I could sell certified organic eggs.

I feedcomercially prepared grower and free range.

6. chickachicka

chickachicka In the Brooder

Jun 11, 2009
    Thanks everyone! [​IMG] I will call & see if they could order organic for me. Great idea! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: