How much feed will 5 layers eat/week??

Winter

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 2, 2008
I am trying to venture into the making of my own feed, but do not have my chickens yet.
How much would you say each adult bird will eat when laying?? Per day or week?

5 layers should eat 25lbs of feed more or less a week.id get a 20 or 25lb feeder an mix enough to fill it.then when its empty mix some more feed.

I figure each of my layers eats about 50 pounds of pellets a year. I think it would be about 100 pounds if they didn't get kitchen scraps and free-range on nice days.

Quote:
Are you serious?!
ep.gif
My 5 don't go through that much in a month! I buy a 50lb bag maybe every 3 months. I get 3-5 eggs a day. They are fat and sassy. They get a handful of scratch thrown about in a huge run and some scraps from out dinner but that's it.

Last edited:
Any more than a third of a pound of feed per day per chicken is a waste. Even less than that if they are free ranged all day. Figure out how to contain your feed so you have very little waste. If the chickens kick to much out on the ground you WILL have critters as well as predators you don't want.

well like i said when i fed my hens id put out 50 to 100lbs.an that would last them 1 to 2wks.an that was 15 hens an 8 turkeys.at my peak id buy 250lbs of layer feed a month.an that was $45 a month more or less.an there was no waste what so ever.

Right or wrong, I have read that the average laying hen (varies by breed) will consume 90-110lbs a year of feed. Let's just call it 100lbs a year. Based on that amount, your 5 hens together will consume 1.36lbs a day, or 9.59lbs a week (0.27lbs per bird/day or 1.92lbs per bird/week). The little pigs!

Last edited:
a 50lb bag of layer lasts me 2 weeks in the winter and 3 in the spring summer and fall!! And I have 9 chickens.

Back
Top Bottom