How much for a dozen?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by first time farmer, Mar 22, 2009.

1. first time farmer

first time farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    How much should i charge for a dozen eggs. And how should i sell them. Like should i put a sign in my yard that says farm fresh eggs the price and my phone number or just put them in a cooler with a sign that says farm fresh eggs and the price with a can or something for money?

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Put a flyer up at your local feed store too!

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I suppose it depends upon how much feed is.

We take a loss.. We sell a dozen & a half for $3.

Half the time I have no eggs to use for myself because my wife constantly has some neighbor lady at the door with $3. My hens can't lay fast enough... even my kids are trying to coax the girls on.

From 14 hens we got 6 yesterday and 9 the day before that... so we get behind in two days and my wife is ALWAYS making chocolate chip cookies and substitutes a half a cup of sugar for an extra egg.

More than you wanted to know.

4. first time farmer

Dec 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Hahaha is ok my mother will end up doing that too.

5. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    There is a lady in Katy Texas (kinda close to me) who advertises her eggs on Craigslist for $3 a dozen.

Here is her Link <-------Klick

6. KrisRose

KrisRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    Davison, MI.
    I charge 2 bucks for a dozen. If I were you I would check the price of eggs in markets. Free range/organic eggs you can charge alot more for.
    Also do you live in an area with foodies??? A sure sign that they are around is lots of small trendy restaurants. They pay big bucks for local organic eggs. They are not where I live but might be in your neck of the woods.

7. first time farmer

Dec 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Great ideas Thanks every one.

8. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    I charge £2.00 per doz for mine here in the Uk, I also started a local egg delivery business by putting flyers in all the houses in the surrounding little villages, on average I can sell 25 doz eggs per week, it started small but has really taken off as the word has gotten round. I dont have people calling to the house so delivery to their homes is more viable for me.

Good luck and if you would like a copy of the flyer I use Pm me.....

9. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    I charge $3 or barter something worth that in trade so that I can say that I am not technically "selling" the eggs. don't want to fuss about rules etc....

10. mullers3acers

mullers3acers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2007
    la porte, In
    Quote:We charge $3.00 per dz. Dh made a large egg box and have a sign on a dry erase board. I did give out my cell phone # which is strictly use for farm business only. We have a mason jar in the box for the money. Made $9.00 in sales yesterday. Good Luck with your sells.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by