How much $$ for a gelding?

What's a farrier?

I watched him pick up each of his feet as he was showing me the hoofs that needed trimed and where. The horse stood still. I watched him saddle him and ride him around in his corral. I've done business with the seller for about 11 years and I know where to find him. I'm not worried about him, I just needed a price check and I'm satisfied with what everyone has responded with. My father-in-law said I should be able to get a horse for $100-$150. But the saying goes "You get what you pay for". Right?

Thank yo so much.

Hi,
Seems like a good price. Since you know the guy and are comfortable with him. You are doing your homework and that is great.
Farrier is the guy you will have to have come and trim your horse about every 8 weeks.
You shouldn't need shoes unless you do *a lot* of road riding or maybe hard terrain.
Take care!

What's a farrier?

A person who specializes in trimming and shoeing hooves. It's best to pay someone who knows what they are doing, it's pretty easy to screw up feet by trimming too much or not enough. It shouldn't cost too much. My lady farrier trimmed my horses every 8 weeks for $20 each that was a few years ago. I haven't had horses for a couple of years now. I never had them shod so I don't know how much that would cost.​

A farrier is a person in the buisness of trimming and dealling with horses hooves. There is an art to truely taking good care of a horses feet. Some horses dont need any major work done but if they get a crack or have problems you will need a farrier who really knows what they are doing. If you truely trust this gentleman then go for it after you have ridden the horse. I would still see what he would charge to ride him a few times a week until chrismas though. Also you might want to see how the horse reacts to water, will he cross through a puddle or is he going to try to jump it. Even if you plan on your hubby riding at home only there is always the little things you want to know about before hand and not when you are having a nice ride. One last thing see if he spooks at thing very easily. It is not preventable for a rabbit or pheasant to pop out when riding on the trail but it is good to know if the horse is just going to jump a little and side step or is he going to explode and run home. I hope all works out and your hubby has a happy christmas. Jenn

Eh... I'm into the "horse business" myself (I compete/show and train) and own an AQH mare of my own.

You are correct, the horse market is down; but at least where I am from (NY), the horses still are not that cheap. I mean, you can find an ok-decent horse for around $1,500 and if you do then you are extremely lucky! Once you get into those really "cheap" digits, there's usually some underlying issue with the horse such as soundness. You can aslo adopt a thoroughbred or standardbred off the track for pretty cheap...but unless you are an experienced horseman...they can be crazy and dangerous.

There are different websites online that you can search horses on. The most common are:
* http://equine.com/horses/advanced_search.aspx
http://dreamhorse.com/full_search.php
http://www.horsetopia.com/

Note:

With any horse that you are thinking about purchasing, make sure you look into a vet check on it before you buy. That way you know if there is lameness issue, any disorders, sicknesses, etc. Many people will also drug the horse so it appears calmer than it is really...this actually happened to a friend of mine, so make sure that is not the case. Don't trust the person selling's sincerity either....get a look at him yourself and try him out, perhaps bring a more horsey-knowledgeable person with you too. Also, a cogging test, a float (teeth filing), and updates on vaccinations should be done...

Good luck.

Last edited:
Yes, but the market for the ones that cost in ranges of $5000-to say $50000 is way down, LOL!
Now it seems its not even worth it to breed because even getting the stud fee it costs to breed now-a-days is not likely.
Its horrible.

Equest94 you more or less said what I was going to. Butttt we must remember that the market right now is flooded with saleable horses and I have heard many are going for practically nothing in other parts of the country and some auctions. Shelly I might do a tiny bit more reseach if I were you, horses can be a huge expense with constant care which equals $$$$$. You do sound like you are doing your homework well and have a nice place to give a horse a home but I have seen some that the excitement of the whole thing won them over and boy did they get themselves in over their heads. Just something to think about before you get addicted...lol

Equest I think you meant a Coggins report (tests for EIA).

I see some others have mentioned this gently- but I'll restate it.

You obviously know nothing about horses outside of that they're pretty and you ride them. May I suggest with deep sincerity that you and your husband enroll in riding lessons for a year as your Christmas gift rather than purchasing a horse.

It's honestly not fair to yourselves or the equine involved for you to make such an uneducated purchase.

Another great option would be a lease at a farm that offers lessons and other group activities.

Please consider what I'm saying.

$450 seems really cheap to me. I live in NY and you can't find a decent horse for under $1500. I know your looking for a good deal, but buying a pricier horse may save you money in the long run. I live near a large ranch which sells and leases thousands of horses each year and allows you to make trade if your particular horse doesn't work out for you. I would try to find a place like this, or try leasing a horse for a summer so you can see how everything goes without first committing. Taking lessons before buying is another way to help you build skills and knowledge and will help you later when it comes to choosing the right horse.

For a beginner I recommend a gelding between the ages of 10 and 15, anything younger may have a little too much spunk. Older horses typically are better behaved but you have to think about how much time you will have with them before they are retired. A horse can be used for trail riding up into its late 20s. The breed I recommend is the quarter horse because they are more even tempered, Paints, arabians, thouroughbreds and appaloosas tend to be a little spirited and may be difficult for a beginner although htere is always variation.

Since you are inexperienced, I would find someone you can trust who is an experienced horseman/horsewomen who can check him out for you and to see how he rides. Make sure that you canter with him because if any problems are to occur with a horse it will happen at higher speeds. Apps are known for their attitude and can be difficult for a beginner, but some make great companions. Also check his eyes for any cloudiness. Apps are susceptible to an eye disease called recurent uveitis which can get expensive treating. Check his feet as the others have suggested, a horses entire health and well being are dependent on its feet.

I know I sound scary but I just want to help you out making a good decision. I too am in the process of looking for a horse. I have been riding for years and enjoy the sport of team penning and rode my friends' horses all summer in competition. Helmstead has made some great points. I suggest you look into things more and build your skills and knowledge before making a purchase. A hasty decision could cause you to unneeded stress and financial burden.

Last edited:
Quote:
A lot of realy good advise here
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom