How much $$ for a gelding?

I assume he has at least some of the appaloosa characteristics (spots/ stirped hooves/ modeling/white sclera) You may be able to register him under the hardship clause because he is gelded so can't 'polute' the gene pool
wink.png
Now this will not realy add value to his price tag. It's just if you wanted to get into showing (of course he may or may not be even small show worthy but they can be fun for some people even it they don't win)

Last edited:
helmstead - No, I very well meant Coggins Test... I never heard it called a report, not at least around here (not that it really matters anyways)...but you are very correct in stating that it is done to check for EIA which is Equine Infectious Anemia
big_smile.png

Standard Hen - keep in mind auctions are very different from a private sale. I'm not saying that there aren't cheap horses out there... there's just not many (that are of "quality").

As Picco somewhat restated what I have said...there's not many in New York (which is where we are from) that are selling for less than $1,500 and for that much they are only "decent."

Shelly, I'm sure he is a wonderful horse and I know you are excited to get one, but please do not become one of those people who fall in love with the first horse they see. I cannot even begin to stress how much of an investment horses are and because of that it is very important to find the one that best suits you and your husband. Find something of "quality" - no doesn't have to have points, championships, or even be registered... what I mean by quality is that it is mentally sane, a packer, something that is not sick or lame.... spend the time and look, don't buy the first one that you see just because it is more convenient. Especially, due to the fact that the market is so low at the time, it is even more crucial that you find a horse that is going to work out well for you...if he turns out to be a real sour brat your going to have a hard time re-selling him.

Last edited:
Equest94, yes, I am very well aware that auctions and private sales are two different animals. Horses saled in the mid-west also can go for much cheaper than the Northeast. In my area the only "cheap" horses to be found are:

1.very old, really should be retired/companion
2.horses/ponies with health issues, soundness issues
3. nutcases
4. downright dangerous.
5. and an array of other abnormalitys

I am not an auction goer as I just can't handle horse auctions, but I have heard as I am sure you have also of the diamond in the rough that comes out of some of them but I would not say it is a common occurance.
I have read and talked to few in other parts of the country where there are some "deals" because of the market being the way it is.

I think Shelly and her family obviously needs a very beginner packer type but also they need to know about all what goes with it FIRST. Lessons are an excellent start, see if you can learn and watch what goes on in their care etc. Try and find a facility with a good reputation and learn all you can before "making the move" there is more to it than people think. You could also find that you might not even want to own a horse.
A beginner does not need quality (registerd, papers, $50,000.00 worth of training, bloodlines etc). A beginner needs quality( safe, sane, healthy, kind, bomb-proof) so that they can fall in love and hopefully learn to become responsible and caring horse owners and gaining experience along the way for more challanging situations such as illnesses, injuries, training issues that arise along the way.

I do not think any of us mean this in a bad way at all Shelly, we are just experienced horse people who have seen alot and are trying to offer good advise to you. Please feel free to ask any other questions you might have and we will try to help.
smile.png

Quote:
Haha - that's EXACTLY that I was talking about! lol.
There aren't any horses that are that cheap without having some other underlying issue. As I have said, it's "quality" that is important and as I have explained it is not about points, registration, showing, etc... "quality" is about the horse's mindset and ability to become that sane, healthy, and non-lame family horse....

Again, I strongly agree... take lessons, help out at a barn...just get familiar with everything... perhaps even consider leasing (???) Don't rush into it, take your time. Horse's are a huge responsibility... you have to take into consideration vet checks (vaccinations, medications, supplements), farrier work, equine dentist, tack/equipment (grooming supplies, winter blankets, saddles, bridles, saddle pads, etc), boarding fees - everything!

Really, Shelly, at the end it is all up to you; you do what you are ready for. Please don't think we are all trying to bash you because we are not. We're just trying to help you understand the "horse world." If you need any help we are all here for you. Good luck.

Last edited:
On our ranch, the gentle horses are the expensive ones and much easier to sell than anything lively. An 18 yr old was sold for $4000 this summer, and a calm 7 yr old went for $7000. $450 sounds terribly low for a good gentle horse to me. I don't think you could even get one at a sale for that, not that that is the place to find a good horse.

Might not be a bad idea to stop in unexpectedly to see and handle the horse. Sometimes people will give a horse a bit of tranquilizer when they know someone is coming to look at them to make them appear quieter than they really are.

There is a flood of horses on the market right now. The serious drought in parts of the country has made hay scarce and expensive. I know of many people GIVING really nice riding horses away so they don't have to feed them thru the winter. So price is not necessarily the value of a horse at this point in time.

As long as the horse is sound and quiet and well broke, you should be fine. I really REALLY advise stopping in and looking and riding this horse with no prior warning. TQ will wear off in a few hours, and some butazolidin to ease any sore joints will wear off in 24 hours.

I have 10 horses on my property right now, and have for my entire life (I won't tell you how long THAT is). I can't even tell you how many horses Ive been offered for free. Nice horses. Older horses that are perfectly serviceable for nice trail riding. So your price seems very reasonable.

Good luck with your choice. Would be nice if you could post some photos of him, too.

Kathy

Back
Top Bottom