How much for eggs?

Depends on what eggs are selling for in your area. My stores are selling organic, range free (whatever) eggs for like 3.99 a doz. I sell mine for $3.50 doz and $5.00 for 18

Generally it depends on your area. I'd go to the grocery store and farmers market and look at what they sell free range eggs for. If people have to drive to your house to get them, you can charge a little less because you're not having to cart them around for delivery. You may want to check your state's and city's regulations on selling eggs as well. Sometimes there are certifications involved if you sell anywhere outside of your own house.

For instance in Oklahoma or in Texas, as long as I sell ungraded eggs from the "farm" (where my chickens are housed) I can just put a salmonella warning lable on the carton and that's that. If I sell at a farmer's market or flea market, I'll have to get a permit to sell food items (from the local authority) and follow storage guidelines and any other rules they have regarding the sell of eggs.

what i did was check the stores in my area and price mine comparably. in my town, cage free brown eggs (non organic) go for $3.50/doz at one store and $2.50/doz at another. in the next 'big town' they go for $3.00/doz. so i priced mine at $2.50 since that was the walmart price and they're my closest store. (we're in the middle of nowhere really).

i do give people 25c off if they bring their own carton or return one of mine, since the cartons cost me 25c each.

the one suggestion that i'd have is once you do your research and come up with your price, STICK TO IT! i had a guy at work say 'well, my wife buys eggs for 85c at the grocery and my daughter can buy farm eggs for $1/doz at her work'. to which i said 'that's great.'
smile.png
i.e. i'm not price matching. b/c the 85c/doz white eggs at the cheapo grocery store are from battery hens! i didn't say it but its what i was thinking.

now i have had eggs that were going to go unsold.... partially because the farmers' markets here shut down for winter. so i either cook them up and feed them to the chickens or i donate them. i took 8 1/2 doz to the homeless shelter last weekend.

anyway, eggs are FUN!
smile.png
i hope you enjoy your hens as much as i do mine.

You mean to tell me that chickens will eat cooked eggs!?? OMG I never would have thought that!

I agree with OHCHICK though on keeping the same price. It's so hard to compete with others now a days. Everyone wants the best deal, but care about why they are more. They jsut want what's cheap.

I sell for 3 a dz which is about a buck less than store free range eggs. It does depend HEAVILY on demand and location though. There is a thread about how much people charge for eggs.

I sell mine for $4 a doz, $2 for a 6-pack -- but only by word of mouth, no farmers' markets or signs at the street. I only have 5 hens (now -- was 6), so the smaller cartons made sense. I did have one lady tell me that she could get farm fresh, free range eggs for $2 a doz (it may have even been less), but she would actually go to the farm and collect the eggs herself. She said it was some kind of co-op or something. Obviously the farmer running the place wasn't paying for the permits or doing everything required to sell "unclassified" eggs in this state.

Thanks for the info everyone! I'm hoping to have pretty good luck around here. I'm in the country within close proximity to the pheonix metro area, so I can get to a lot of people! And I have quite a few interested already. Should be lotsa fun!

people in my area dont appreciate "farm fresh" or "organic" or anything of that nature, they only relate to affordable. They also tend to be stubborn as all heck, and its hard to break them of bad habits, like buying eggs from the supermarket. I'll have to sell eggs for under $2.00 a dozen in order to get people to here to take notice.

Here the stores charge almost $2 a doz for large white eggs. I have people at work that can't wait for my eggs since they will be farm fresh large brown eggs. They are popular here. I am thinking I will be able to get at least $3 a dozen for mine.

Back
Top Bottom