How much grower feed will I need per chick (from 3 to 18 weeks)?

EileenB

Hatching
10 Years
May 3, 2009
Ocean County, NJ
Hi all, I am a brand new poster! I just got my first ever chicks, and wanted to put in an order for grower feed. Any ideas on how many lbs of feed they would go through between 3 and 18 weeks? They are all pullets (hopefully), in standard sizes (1 each of Buff Orpington, Australorp, and EE). I don't want to be left with too much feed that I have to throw out once they switch to layer feed, and am also a little concerned about freshness. I wanted to try organic foods, and can only get these online at either 25lbs or 50lbs. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you!
EileenB

BarredBuff

Songster
10 Years
Dec 6, 2009
I would order 3 50 lbs. bags of grower. I have 35 chicks (4 weeks) they go through a 50 lb bag of feed every two weeks.

D'Angelo N Va.

Songster
10 Years
Dec 28, 2009
Welcome first of all and congrats on your chicks......hmmm I have never really taken a count of how much I go through, but actually you can switch over to flock raiser at about 6-8 weeks and they can eat that all the time even when laying....just suplement it with oyster shells when they start laying for extra protein.

EileenB

Hatching
10 Years
May 3, 2009
Ocean County, NJ
Quote:LOL, that's a lot of feed! And here I thought that I would have a ton leftover.... Thanks for your help!

EileenB

Dingleberry

Songster
9 Years
Apr 22, 2010
Woodinville
I went through 1 25 lb bag for 5 chicks till they went out to their coop. I am on # 2 50 lb now. yah barred Buff says, and I agree

3 50 lb bags is about right.

Top Bottom