How much headroom is needed for housing Brown Chinese?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by juliect, May 22, 2012.

1. juliect

juliect Songster

Jul 9, 2009
    Niota, TN
    COMPLETELY new to geese and expecting four Brown Chinese goslings from Holderread's next month. Yay!

Working on the design for their adulthood house. Everything I read just states that "ample headroom" is needed, but doesn't explain what constitutes "ample." 24 inches? 36 inches? 48 inches?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    -Julie

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Songster

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Don't know really, but CONGRATS!..... 2 pairs? straight run?

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia John 3:16

I'd go as high as you can, because don't you want to be able to go in to clean? Sure makes it alot easier.

4. juliect

juliect Songster

Jul 9, 2009
    Niota, TN
    The plan (currently, it can always change and usually does) is a 3 sided shed, kind of like a miniature run-in shed for horses. Hopefully, the open front should allow for easy clean out with a rake. It will be enclosed in a larger welded wire kennel with roof, so really the house is just going to serve as a windbreak. But "the plan" also includes training the geese to go inside the kennel each night for lock-down...and I've heard the rumors about geese really not liking to be locked in at night, so we shall see how successful "the plan" turns out. The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  5. Going Bhonkers

Going Bhonkers Songster

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
    Miss Lydia has a point. Our goose coop/home (under construction) is large enough for us to go inside.

6. Miss Lydia

They may not like to be locked up for for their own safety they should be, Our lone gander has been living with Muscovy ducks his whole 5 years and he dutifully follows them all in every evening to be lock in and safe.

7. juliect

juliect Songster

Jul 9, 2009
    Niota, TN
    Mine will be, there are far too many coyotes in this neck of the woods for them to stay out, not to mention neighborhood dogs. Hopefully I can get them into the habit of going up when they're young, so it's not like herding cats every evening. :)

8. Miss Lydia

9. mama24

mama24 Songster

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    I adopted a Chinese goose that was dumped at a local park. He had to be put into the coop the first 2 nights we had him, but he goes right in on his own, with a line of ducklings behind him, every night since then!

10. Is your kennel going to be sufficient to keep out smaller predators like minks and weasels (if you have them in your area) and raccoon paws?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: