How much higher should roost be than nesting boxes

They Call Me Pete

Songster
13 Years
Mar 23, 2009
CT
I have my boxes about 20" off floor and roost are about 16" higher. Is that enough distances between them ? I guess if they start roost in the boxes I can always put a roof on the boxes at a 45 degree angle to stop roosting. Also I read you should put a perch for chickens to rest before they enter the boxes to keep them from pooping in boxes. Anyone do this ??

16" should be fine. And worst comes to worst you could always raise one or lower the other
smile.png

I don't have a bar in front of the nestboxes 'to poop from', but have the top of a low ladder there just to help chunky hens get up and into the boxes without lotsa flailing around
tongue.png

have fun,

Pat

I will make sure that the roost always on the other side of the boxes, because if you put it on top of the boxes it will not surve the purpose.

Omran

My 6 week old peeps just moved into the new hen house this past weekend - the roosts are on the opposite side from the nest boxes and about 18" higher than the nest boxes. The first two nights it got down to about 50 degrees (see photo below). Last night it got down to 30 and when I checked on them they were all piled into a nest box for warmth. I put a heat lamp out there - will be in the 20s tonight. (psycho Oklahoma weather, donchya know).
22131_4-3-09_022.jpg

My coop is long and narrow. Think of an L and my boxes are on the short part of the L and roosts are on the long. I guess I'll just wait and see what happens.

Our nest boxes are on the ground, singly or stacked. Although we have one group of Spitz who only laid in the top of their feeder. Never pooped in there, either. LOL
We do have one Tolbunt rooster who started going into the nest box during a rare winter freeze and ever since we have had to take him out of the nest box almost nightly. Only rarely would he get up on the roost on his own. Grrrrr. Most birds learn after a few nights of being taken out of the box and put on the roost, but he is either stuborn or stupid. Hmmmm.
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom