1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How much hope is there after Day 21???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dixiechick, Feb 7, 2009.

1. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

It's the morning of Day 22, only one out of 36 eggs have hatched. I know they were fertile and stopped turning on Day 18. I've been fighting the temp and humidity a bit though. Temp seemed to want to stay around 97* and humidity seemed to be 70* since Day18.

So...really...how much luck has anyone had after Day 21???? [​IMG]

2. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    I had 29 eggs hatch my first time, 9 on day 21 and the rest on day 22 and day 23, don't give up [​IMG]

3. RHewitt

RHewitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Any piping going on?

4. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

no [​IMG]

5. RHewitt

RHewitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Don't give up...lower temp could slow it down. Good luck!

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    If your temps and humidity have been off I'd leave them til day 25. I've had chicks hatch out that late when temps were on the low side. Hope they hatch!!

7. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    look for any sign of piping of the eggs i had one hatch once lasted a week but by day 25 you should know for sure.

8. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    I agree, they can go up to 24-25 days. Make sure you adjust your temp for the next hatch. Many of these small digital thermometers are off as much as 2 degrees. Test your thermometer against a mercury ( one you use to take your own temperature) thermometer before you hatch the next time.

9. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:Excellent point, I never trust 1 thermometer, when hatching I am using 2 digital thermometers with probes, and I proven regular thermometer, this way I can also check and monitor the temp in a few different spots in a bator.

10. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Quote:Ditto-good luck! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by