How much is tin

What size is the building you are roofing with it? Tin comes in sheets of 2x8 and 2x10 etc... Not 5x9. A 2x8 sheet will run around $12 at Home Depot and around $14 for a 2x10.

Last edited:
I want a slant roof, It will be 6 foot in the front, 4 foot in the back, and it's 4 foot deep. I think the slope length is the square root of 20

Just see what your local hardware store has (talk to them) -- it's irrelevant what things cost (and what's available) in other parts of the country
tongue.png

Most over-the-counter metal roofing comes in 8, 10 and 12' lengths and depending on the manufacturer a sheet will have an effective width of 2' or 2.5' (that's after allowing for the overlap between sheets).

But remember your roof needs overhang on all sides, especially on the lowest side(s). Don't build a roof that's nearly flush with the walls - I'd say 6" is sort of a minimum overhang and more is better. Remembering of course that you need WOOD constructing the overhang - you don't want more than an inch or few of unsupported roof tin at any edge.

If the building itself is 4x8, and this is a shed roof sloped across the 4' dimension which is what it sounds like, then if the roofing you have available is 2' working width, the best thing would probably be to have a foot of overhang on each (short side) and not quite that on the high and low sides, meaning the roof surface itself would be 10 x 6. This would mean buying 3 12' long panels, cutting them in half, and having a half-piece left over. (Sell, give away, store for future use, or use to make a crude 'porch roof' over the pophole to minimize mud and blown-in rain). Not super easy or super efficient but it will give you a good result. If they're 2.5' width pieces, then you would buy 2 12' long panels, cut them in half, and not have leftovers.

If you don't want to be cutting metal roofing, then you will either have to design your roof so it is 8' long, or find used roofing that someone else has already cut to a useful length for you (not really recommended -- recycled roofing will seldom be really water- or weather-tight), or use plastic rather than metal (since the plastic stuff, like Palruf or Suntuf, can be cut with just stout shears).

Whatever you use, metal or plastic, make sure to use gasketed roofing screws. Gasketed is essential for waterproofness (they come with sort of a metal washer type thing, under which is a rubber washer type thing - ask the hardware store guys) and screws hold way better than nails as years (and strong winds) go by.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Last edited:
If this is for a coop roof, keep in mind the metal roof will have potential for problems. IE condensation on the inside, in colder weather, hot as an oven in summer. Insulating it of course would prevent this, but more time/money.

If this was simply a waterproofing, over OSB, or plywood, rather than say using duroid shingles, or rolled roofing, you should be ok.

it comes in one standered size width wise and it is 37.5" exactely but will cover 36" because it has to overlap on the next sheet
they sale it per running feet and it is $2.25 a foot if you custom cut the length and colors. here in my area I bout some left over at the factory for $1.25 a foot.

check my webpage below and you see the roof on my run was $175.00 for 40' long.

omran.

Back
Top Bottom