How much longer should I wait?

64peeps

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 18, 2013
My first egg to pip through shell 24 hours ago hasn't progressed. Beak is showing but no zipping and is just there. Another egg pipped and zipped about eight hours later, hatched last night and is running around owning the incubator kicking and rolling all the other eggs around. How much longer should I wait before intervening, or should I?

Attachments

• 20210129_042031.jpg
    20210129_042031.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 8
if beak is out and it can breath it may just still be absorbing the contents of the egg. They pip before their contents are absorbed and breathing air causes the contents to get sucked in through the belly button, if you help too soon they will have an out-y belly button and not be able to digest and they die on day 5 or so.

People usually help, even with out advice, so if you do, just a bit of shell may encourage the chick to finish, and stop if you see blood. Dab with flour.

On another note, if their are other eggs you may dry them out to help the one. Sit on your hands if you can.

I would help if it has been that long.
I went in and pulled the egg, using tweezers, I peeled back some shell towards the air sack location. I decided to touch the tip of the beak a couple times. No movement. I'm sure it passed late yesterday or last night. I put it back in the incubator in a safe spot, I will monitor for a couple hours, if no change, I will remove it then.
I have another that has pipped, but the membrane is still unopened.

I went in and pulled the egg, using tweezers, I peeled back some shell towards the air sack location. I decided to touch the tip of the beak a couple times. No movement. I'm sure it passed late yesterday or last night. I put it back in the incubator in a safe spot, I will monitor for a couple hours, if no change, I will remove it then.
I have another that has pipped, but the membrane is still unopened.
How’s your humidity?

With water in the troughs and a wet sponge, never went over 53%, until the second chick hatched, went up to 56%. I believe it is wrong from the beginning. I went in, removed some shell, touched the beak, it didn't move. I put it back in and will keep an eye it for a while longer.

With water in the troughs and a wet sponge, never went over 53%, until the second chick hatched, went up to 56%. I believe it is wrong from the beginning. I went in, removed some shell, touched the beak, it didn't move. I put it back in and will keep an eye it for a while longer.
Good luck. I hope it surprises you.

Back
Top Bottom