How much longer?

Bulldoggammy

In the Brooder
Aug 10, 2021
Ok...I already have a question. Attached is a picture of our babies. Most are about a week old, but my ISA browns and chocolate Orpingtons are about two weeks old. We need to be planning for a larger place to keep them until we move them to the coop that we finished yesterday. Can anyone give me an idea of how much longer they can remain in my pool set-up based on what you see?

Attachments

• 5756EFDF-76A8-4142-A1D1-887C5640AB89.jpeg
    5756EFDF-76A8-4142-A1D1-887C5640AB89.jpeg
    564.7 KB · Views: 26
Ok...I already have a question. Attached is a picture of our babies. Most are about a week old, but my ISA browns and chocolate Orpingtons are about two weeks old. We need to be planning for a larger place to keep them until we move them to the coop that we finished yesterday. Can anyone give me an idea of how much longer they can remain in my pool set-up based on what you see?
I have fourteen in here...some are under the brooder.

Welcome to BYC.

Do you have, or can you provide, electric in your coop so that you can brood them out there?
Not at this time...but we have access for adding it fairly easily. We still need to finish the run. We have a small one which came with the coop which would be fine for them at this age. We have raccoons and possums and other ground predators out here. I’m not ready to move them to the coop yet. They would probably be fine, but I would either NEVER sleep OR be sitting in a chair out there with them all night long...not an option in South Carolina this time of year. I already regret going with a pre-fabbed coup, but once we get everything installed - predator guard and extended run - I think they will be ok for a while as they get older.

Not at this time...but we have access for adding it fairly easily. We still need to finish the run. We have a small one which came with the coop which would be fine for them at this age. We have raccoons and possums and other ground predators out here. I’m not ready to move them to the coop yet. They would probably be fine, but I would either NEVER sleep OR be sitting in a chair out there with them all night long...not an option in South Carolina this time of year. I already regret going with a pre-fabbed coup, but once we get everything installed - predator guard and extended run - I think they will be ok for a while as they get older.
You have a prefab coop for 14 birds? Are you keeping all the birds? Do you have a link to what set up you got?

I don't see why you can't put them in the coop now even if the run isn't finished. They don't need run access yet, but you're going to need more brooding space in a week or so. By 4 weeks they should be up to a minimum of 1 sq ft of floor space, by 6 weeks 1.5 sq ft.

What's the area of the pool?
You have a prefab coop for 14 birds? Are you keeping all the birds? Do you have a link to what set up you got?

I don't see why you can't put them in the coop now even if the run isn't finished. They don't need run access yet, but you're going to need more brooding space in a week or so. By 4 weeks they should be up to a minimum of 1 sq ft of floor space, by 6 weeks 1.5 sq ft.

I’ll post a picture when I get a chance. We are modifying it for more space and roosting area. It came from Aivituvin. If I had it to do over, we would have bought a wooden shed and modified it. Oh, well! This one - with modifications - will do for now. It’s not a bad pre-fab...just not big enough though its specs said it was good for twelve to fifteen hens, and we need to secure it more. We are looking at another week or two to actually finish our own design enhancement. I will post what we did. We spent more money than it was worth. Now we spend even more to make it roomy enough, but our sweet girls - and/maybe a guy or two?🤷🏼‍♀️ - are worth it.

I’ll post a picture when I get a chance. We are modifying it for more space and roosting area. It came from Aivituvin. If I had it to do over, we would have bought a wooden shed and modified it. Oh, well! This one - with modifications - will do for now. It’s not a bad pre-fab...just not big enough though its specs said it was good for twelve to fifteen hens
Definitely post your modifications, along with stock photos of what you started with. Just curious because there's very few prefabs that claim to hold larger amounts of birds.

Back
Top Bottom