How much oregano is good for chickens?

I came across a study on black pepper that suggests that using it in over 0.3% of the diet can reduce eggshell quality, and it cites another study as saying over 0.6% garlic in the diet decreased productivity. Unfortunately, it's hard to read because English is not the authors' first language, but at least it's short.

https://www.scielo.br/j/asas/a/w8wpP6MDpF7g6QGz9NZGj5w/?lang=en

So, probably something like 0.25-0.5% (by dry weight) with breaks (something like one week on, one week off) would be a good starting point for the oregano. I wouldn't put it in the waterer unless the water gets used up in about a day. Oregano tea, like all teas I've tried, will ferment. Maybe apple cider vinegar added to the water would prevent it from going bad for longer. That gives me an idea.... oregano infused ACV... we're starting to get into salad dressing territory, here....
I've been topping my chickens daily mixed greens with thyme infused acv for 8 years. I swear by the stuff. Can't prove its all the healthy stuff I feed them, but they're getting up there in age without ever having any ailments. Even the production breeds.

Many of the medications that treat respiratory infections in chickens have oregano as the main ingredient. You are incorrect telling people that it has no antibacterial factors
Ummm. No.

A lot of over the counter unregulated supplements for chickens contain oregano oil. That should not be mistaken for "medication".

As Paracelsus observed, "The dosage is the poison." There is an important medical truth in that quote.

Note that I am not denying that some compounds in oreganum varietals can have antibacterial properties against some pathogens. I am saying that you can't know, in those OTC offerings, what the concentration of the active compounds are in the oil, or what the concentration of the oil is in the product. Or how age may have affected its potency.

That's more hope and prayer than science and pharmacy. Magical thinking, perhaps even educated magical thinking, but not "medicine."

Henlo fellow chicken lovers! To reduce bacteria, viruses, etc, in my chickens I want to start adding dried oregano to their diet. How much oregano per chicken? Can it be given daily? Also, to help them grow their feathers back beautifully, I want to make them a molting mix with flaxseed and BOSS. I was wondering if it would be ok to add some dried shredded coconut to it. Thanks!
I sprinkle a teaspoon each of oregano, thyme and garlic powder to 3-4 cups of feed. My chickens are healthy and their eggs taste normal. As far as the coconut goes, I found a link that I think you might find helpful: https://cluckin.net/can-chickens-eat-coconut.html

Ummm. No.

A lot of over the counter unregulated supplements for chickens contain oregano oil. That should not be mistaken for "medication".

As Paracelsus observed, "The dosage is the poison." There is an important medical truth in that quote.

Note that I am not denying that some compounds in oreganum varietals can have antibacterial properties against some pathogens. I am saying that you can't know, in those OTC offerings, what the concentration of the active compounds are in the oil, or what the concentration of the oil is in the product. Or how age may have affected its potency.

That's more hope and prayer than science and pharmacy. Magical thinking, perhaps even educated magical thinking, but not "medicine."
There is a place for big pharma and for naturopathic healing. Pharmaceuticals have only been around since 1900s. Just because they don't do R&D on well known home remedies doesn't mean they don't work... There would be little incentive for them to invest time and money for something they couldn't patent. That's why even the fox glove that was used for cardiac issues was synthesized, so they could charge more for it, instead of growing the actual plant. 💕

There is a place for big pharma and for naturopathic healing. Pharmaceuticals have only been around since 1900s. Just because they don't do R&D on well known home remedies doesn't mean they don't work... There would be little incentive for them to invest time and money for something they couldn't patent. That's why even the fox glove that was used for cardiac issues was synthesized, so they could charge more for it, instead of growing the actual plant. 💕

Without standardization and testing you have no clue what level of possible effectiveness any given herbal medicine might or might not have.

IMO,

#1. Don't fix what isn't broken. If the birds aren't sick don't treat them.

#2. If the birds ARE sick then use something proven effective in a way that you can be sure to get an appropriate dosing schedule, neither too much nor too little, according to the bird's weight.

I'm a strong believer in the effectiveness of good nutrition (which can include vitamin supplementation when needed), fresh air, and a healthy level of sanitation to support good health for both human and animal, but I am just as strongly against the routine use of any form of medication, natural or synthetic, for a healthy human or animal. :)

They do do research. I linked some of it a page or two ago. The universe cares not one whit for the motive of an inventor or seller. Nor does it care about the hopes of the buyer. It has NO impact on its efficacy.

You are knowingly choosing an unreliable, inferior (for the purpose intended) product with which to treat your birds. That's your choice, and your birds. Not for me to prevent you from doing so. But I won't describe that faith-based choice as educated, and I won't encourage others to substitute their beliefs for a measurable, predictable reality.

They do do research. I linked some of it a page or two ago. The universe cares not one whit for the motive of an inventor or seller. Nor does it care about the hopes of the buyer. It has NO impact on its efficacy.

You are knowingly choosing an unreliable, inferior (for the purpose intended) product with which to treat your birds. That's your choice, and your birds. Not for me to prevent you from doing so. But I won't describe that faith-based choice as educated, and I won't encourage others to substitute their beliefs for a measurable, predictable reality.
Personally I only use homeopathic remedies that I've tested on myself before I give to my hens or recommend to friends or family if they ask me. It's definitely our choice, and it should be an informed choice. I'm not against antibiotics or other meds, but we all know antibiotics have been over prescribed, and I've also read posts here that dewormers have have been overused creating super bugs. Neither method is perfect, but as @3KillerBs mentioned, keeping a tidy and healthy environment and feeding them nutritious food is number 1 in preventing disease.

Back
Top Bottom