How much oregano is good for chickens?

Can you provide some evidence? Not a random blog, please.
A couple of scientific reviews on oregano's antimicrobial properties. There is plenty of research on this.

The problem with natural antimicrobials is they aren't very long acting. The antibiotics we use against diseases, especially the once or twice daily dosage forms, are much, much more potent and convenient than an herb with varying essential oil content that you have to take/apply maybe every 2-4 hours. (When do you sleep with this kind of application schedule?!) So, people tend to use them too infrequently or at inconsistent dosages/dosages too low to do much (in comparison to medical grade antimicrobials, anyway).

Antimicrobial Activity of Basil, Oregano, and Thyme Essential Oils
Hercules Sakkas* and Chrissanthy Papadopoulou
Microbiology Department, Faculty of Medicine, School of Health Sciences, University of Ioannina, 45110 Ioannina, Greece
J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. (2017), 27(3), 429–438
https://koreascience.kr/article/JAKO201713647762249.pdf

Essential Oils of Oregano: Biological Activity beyond Their Antimicrobial Properties
Nayely Leyva-López, Erick P. Gutiérrez-Grijalva, Gabriela Vazquez-Olivo and J. Basilio Heredia *
Centro de Investigación en Alimentación y Desarrollo A.C., Carretera a El Dorado km 5.5 Col. El Diez C.P.,Culiacán, Sinaloa 80129, Mexico; [email protected] (N.L.-L.); [email protected] (E.P.G.-G.);
[email protected] (G.V.-O.)
* Correspondence: [email protected]; Tel.: +52-166-776-05536
Received: 25 May 2017; Accepted: 10 June 2017; Published: 14 June 2017
Abstract: Essential oils of oregano are widely recognized for their antimicrobial activity, as well as their antiviral and antifungal properties. Nevertheless, recent investigations have demonstrated that these compounds are also potent antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antidiabetic and cancer suppressor agents.
Molecules 2017, 22, 989; doi:10.3390/molecules22060989

A couple of scientific reviews on oregano's antimicrobial properties. There is plenty of research on this.

The problem with natural antimicrobials is they aren't very long acting. The antibiotics we use against diseases, especially the once or twice daily dosage forms, are much, much more potent and convenient than an herb with varying essential oil content that you have to take/apply maybe every 2-4 hours. (When do you sleep with this kind of application schedule?!) So, people tend to use them too infrequently or at inconsistent dosages/dosages too low to do much (in comparison to medical grade antimicrobials, anyway).

Microbiology Department, Faculty of Medicine, School of Health Sciences, University of Ioannina, 45110 Ioannina, Greece

Essential Oils of Oregano: Biological Activity beyond Their Antimicrobial Properties
Nayely Leyva-López, Erick P. Gutiérrez-Grijalva, Gabriela Vazquez-Olivo and J. Basilio Heredia *
Centro de Investigación en Alimentación y Desarrollo A.C., Carretera a El Dorado km 5.5 Col. El Diez C.P.,Culiacán, Sinaloa 80129, Mexico; [email protected] (N.L.-L.); [email protected] (E.P.G.-G.);
Abstract: Essential oils of oregano are widely recognized for their antimicrobial activity, as well as their antiviral and antifungal properties. Nevertheless, recent investigations have demonstrated that these compounds are also potent antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antidiabetic and cancer suppressor agents.
Thank you for taking the time to get all this information! ❤️

I may add that as a prevention Oregano is MUCH more useful then as a treatment.

Oh, here's another specifically on use in (broiler) chickens, saying essential oils worked as well as the "growth promoting antibiotics" in getting their test chickens fattened up for the slaughter.

https://www.researchgate.net/profil...ivities-and-effects-on-growth-performance.pdf

Specifially,
The results of the disc diffusion method indicated that the rose-
mary essential oil had antibacterial activity (P ≤ 0.05)
against only 3 pathogenic bacteria, Escherichia coli (8
mm), Salmonella indiana (11 mm), and Listeria innocua
(9 mm). The essential oil of oregano had antimicrobial
activities (P ≤ 0.05) on the same bacteria as rosemary
but also on Staphylococcus aureus (22 mm) and Bacillus
subtilis (12 mm). Oregano essential oil had greater (P
≤ 0.05) antimicrobial activities against pathogenic bac-
teria than rosemary essential oil but they had no syn-
ergism between them. The BEO [commercial blend of essential oils] showed an increased
antimicrobial activity (P ≤ 0.05) against all studied
bacteria (pathogenic and nonpathogenic bacteria) ex-
cept for Lactobacillus rhamnosus.

Actually, I'm curious why I don't hear people talking about thyme more often, because I see more commercially made antimicrobial cleaning products with essential oil of thyme than oregano.

And, yes, essential oils are much different than using the whole herb. Whole herbs are much less concentrated (harder to get a high dose/overdose), and also have a broader range of plant chemicals than the extracted essential oil. Personally, I think whole herbs are generally better and safer to use. Especially if you have cats around.

Actually, I'm curious why I don't hear people talking about thyme more often, because I see more commercially made antimicrobial cleaning products with essential oil of thyme than oregano.

And, yes, essential oils are much different than using the whole herb. Whole herbs are much less concentrated (harder to get a high dose/overdose), and also have a broader range of plant chemicals than the extracted essential oil. Personally, I think whole herbs are generally better and safer to use. Especially if you have cats around.
I have a herb garden with Thyme, Oregano, lavender, and Basil. When I had Oregano oil I'd add a bit to the waterers, but as you said, you must be careful when using Essential oil. I definitely want to get more oil for emergencies though. I never heard that Thyme is antimicrobial.....interesting

Back
Top Bottom