How much oregano is good for chickens?

That’s why I like using Nutrena NatureWise feeds, they have essential oils in them already including oregano. I know fresh would be better but for those who aren’t able to provide fresh I think it is a decent alternative.
I just started using this feed a few months ago and haven't looked back! You can really smell the oregano when you open up the bag! I was gonna suggest this to OP too as an option.

I actually really love this feed and am surprised I don't hear more people talking about it. OP, if you're having trouble getting them to eat the oregano, check out this feed.

i toss a large container of oregano, garlic, and red pepper flakes in with a 50lb bag of food every time i fill the chickens’ feeder up.
Do you use whole garlic, chopped, or dried/powdered?

Was thinking of occasionally incorporating this into my chickens' diet but wasn't sure what the best form is.

Do you use whole garlic, chopped, or dried/powdered?

Was thinking of occasionally incorporating this into my chickens' diet but wasn't sure what the best form is.
garlic powder.

i just grab a container of each from the spice aisle when i go to the grocery store. they get dumped in and stirred around when i add a new bag of food to their feeder.

Funniest thread I've read for ages.
It was going okay until post 6.:D
The evidence came forth in shedloads after. Nope none of that was good enough and later came dire warnings about not trusting google and internet blogs.
I guess all the stuff on BYC is all nonsense.
Check out the like clicks. The posts with absolutely no supporting evidence, pure opnion basically, got most likes. The posts with some reputable sources fewer likes and dismissed basically.:lau

Funniest thread I've read for ages.
It was going okay until post 6.:D
The evidence came forth in shedloads after. Nope none of that was good enough and later came dire warnings about not trusting google and internet blogs.
I guess all the stuff on BYC is all nonsense.
Check out the like clicks. The posts with absolutely no supporting evidence, pure opnion basically, got most likes. The posts with some reputable sources fewer likes and dismissed basically.:lau

:welcome

I just started using this feed a few months ago and haven't looked back! You can really smell the oregano when you open up the bag! I was gonna suggest this to OP too as an option.

I actually really love this feed and am surprised I don't hear more people talking about it. OP, if you're having trouble getting them to eat the oregano, check out this feed.
I really like it too. A layer feed with 18% protein and the essential oils they add is a real find in my opinion. And it is also soy free for people that care about that, and yet the price is basically the same as Nutrena’s other varieties in this line of feed.

I came across a study on black pepper that suggests that using it in over 0.3% of the diet can reduce eggshell quality, and it cites another study as saying over 0.6% garlic in the diet decreased productivity. Unfortunately, it's hard to read because English is not the authors' first language, but at least it's short.

https://www.scielo.br/j/asas/a/w8wpP6MDpF7g6QGz9NZGj5w/?lang=en

So, probably something like 0.25-0.5% (by dry weight) with breaks (something like one week on, one week off) would be a good starting point for the oregano. I wouldn't put it in the waterer unless the water gets used up in about a day. Oregano tea, like all teas I've tried, will ferment. Maybe apple cider vinegar added to the water would prevent it from going bad for longer. That gives me an idea.... oregano infused ACV... we're starting to get into salad dressing territory, here....
This is interesting.....

i toss a large container of oregano, garlic, and red pepper flakes in with a 50lb bag of food every time i fill the chickens’ feeder up.
Out of curiosity I calculated spice %:

Assuming a big 22 oz spice container (the largest I could find doing a quick search) mixed with 50 lbs of feed, each spice is about 2.7%, and all three combined are 7.6%.

How are your results? Egg flavor, quantity, etc. Meat quality? Does it seem to prevent/cure any problems? I'm raising chickens on my own for the first time, so I'm responsible for all the food decisions now. (Before I donated time and a couple pullets to a shared coop on a friend's land and got eggs every so often.)

I didn't read all the posts, but I do want to attest from personal experience we use oregano oil in water and a diffuser when my chickens have respiratory issues. It does significantly decrease recovery time and seems to aid in natural resistance. I do 2-3 drops in 5 gallons of water (it is extremely potent).

We also use it for humans and it has the same effect. My husband will take a shot glass, add 2-3 drops and fill the rest with water. Shoot it, once a day, and within 2 days he is usually cleared up. We use the diffuser for running noses and it helps with breathing! I don't know about studies and what not, but personally it works for us.

Back
Top Bottom