How much oyster shells?

Mine does not last that long maybe a year also used to cover bare ground on the front we have wirly gigs some big some small anyways also layed it there looks nice better than where only weeds grow

That's a good question but unfortunately there isn't a good answer any better than "it depends". Hens need calcium for their egg shells. They can get calcium from chicken feed, plants they eat, and creepy crawlies they catch and eat. If your native rock is limestone they can get plenty of calcium from the rocks they eat for grit.

If they need it the seem to know it and eat offered oyster shell, If they don't need it they don't eat a lot of oyster shell. They may eat up a bag in a few months (depending on how many you have). Or a small bag may last years and never go bad.

I thought my chickens would go through a five pound bag quickly, so I bought two. I also give them egg shells, which they seem to prefer. I've barely made a dent in the first bag.

Ok, I'll take OS off my list of Christmas present requests. :gig

Really depends. Are you feeding layer or something with lower calcium like all flock?

I go through about two 4-lb bags a year at this time, might increase now that I have new layers starting up. My flock is currently 7 hens 4 pullets.

Back
Top Bottom