How much profit is there in fancy pigeon breeding?

i’m just gonna say please don’t. there are so many adoptable pigeons that need homes, that breeding is just taking away homes from them.
Although I get your point, people enjoy pure bred pigeons to. Often the adoptable ones are crosses, or you can't know for sure. So I couldn't adopt a pigeon and put it in a race, as it may not be a homer, though it could look like one. So I could lose the pigeon. Does this make sense?

Although I get your point, people enjoy pure bred pigeons to. Often the adoptable ones are crosses, or you can't know for sure. So I couldn't adopt a pigeon and put it in a race, as it may not be a homer, though it could look like one. So I could lose the pigeon. Does this make sense?
just wondering, please don’t think i’m trying to be rude. but what is the point of racing pigeons? because isn’t there a big risk of losing one, and they could die?

i’m just gonna say please don’t. there are so many adoptable pigeons that need homes, that breeding is just taking away homes from them.

I get what you mean, but I also use my pigeons for showing and education at fairs and bird shows and you can't show mix breed, injured, or faulty birds :'( pigeon rescues play an important part in keeping birds, but breeding isn't always bad, at least they don't reproduce as fast/in quantities as other animals :D

just wondering, please don’t think i’m trying to be rude. but what is the point of racing pigeons? because isn’t there a big risk of losing one, and they could die?
You aren't being rude! I love to answer questions.

Although I don't race, (I hope to soon, we will see) the point is, enjoyment. They pigeon hobby is a dying sport. But those who are in it are passionate about it. It gives a community of people who all love pigeons. Ten or fifteen people will be around a table, talking, telling stories, laughing, about pigeons. In race day you would expect some snarly competition, but instead, phone calls are going back and forth encouraging eachother, they congratulate eachother, etc.

So that's one aspect, another is, the birds love it! Sure, they might die, they may get lost, but when given the choice of staying in the coop, or flying free, mine choose to fly! They love to fly,they are built to fly. They know the risk, but they still do it. Just a few days ago one of my birds came back with a broken leg. But I can guarantee once it's healed it will be back flying for hours like nothing ever happened. An average wild pigeon flies I've a hundred miles a day, but are easily capable of going 600-800 miles in a day (they don't cause they have no reason too). So it's not cruel to race them 600 miles, but it is If you didn't train them right and you know they probably won't make it. So if it's done right it isn't cruel. Does this make sense?

You aren't being rude! I love to answer questions.

Although I don't race, (I hope to soon, we will see) the point is, enjoyment. They pigeon hobby is a dying sport. But those who are in it are passionate about it. It gives a community of people who all love pigeons. Ten or fifteen people will be around a table, talking, telling stories, laughing, about pigeons. In race day you would expect some snarly competition, but instead, phone calls are going back and forth encouraging eachother, they congratulate eachother, etc.

So that's one aspect, another is, the birds love it! Sure, they might die, they may get lost, but when given the choice of staying in the coop, or flying free, mine choose to fly! They love to fly,they are built to fly. They know the risk, but they still do it. Just a few days ago one of my birds came back with a broken leg. But I can guarantee once it's healed it will be back flying for hours like nothing ever happened. An average wild pigeon flies I've a hundred miles a day, but are easily capable of going 600-800 miles in a day (they don't cause they have no reason too). So it's not cruel to race them 600 miles, but it is If you didn't train them right and you know they probably won't make it. So if it's done right it isn't cruel. Does this make sense?
thank you, and yes that makes sense. i used to have pigeons and always kept them in a coop with a big outdoor area. i’m hoping to get more once i have more property, but think i may actually consider free flying if it makes them happier 😊

Just pay attention to predators and know hawks love pigeon :'D I can't free fly cause of a family of bald eagles and a few groups of hawks who fly daily over my neighborhood, so I just make sure they have an outdoor loft area in addition to plenty of space to fly :D but safely!
yeah, in the area i am now we have a lot of predators. i’m hoping once we move it’ll be better and i can get pigeons again without worrying about.

Back
Top Bottom