How much protein is TOO much?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by rodriguezpoultry, Oct 13, 2010.

1. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    My birds are molting like crazy...I know they need a bit higher protein in which to grow their feathers back a bit faster, but I'm not certain how high is too high.

There is a gambird feed (for pheasants, quail, etc.) that has 28% protein. The fat isn't exactly that high. I'm wanting to get the 20% layer feed...actually I will probably wind up getting it anyway, just trying to get a feel for what I need to do.

2. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I have read some people supplement their regular layer feed with something with more protein like cat food or calf manna. I would guess you could also use the gamebird feed. I think 28% by itself is a little overkill.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    My older girls are molting like crazy. I supplement their reg. feed with calf manna, manna pro poultry conditioner, it has 22% protein or the game bird feed which ever I can get but I just add it to their reg. diet. I also just do the scrambled eggs/boiled eggs, moist cat food, canned tuna fish even and BOSS twice a week.

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    rodriguez,
    I feed a 28% Gamebird Feed also (Kent High Flyer 28) but I do cut it with Pigeon Grain an BOSS to get it down to around 19% protein and 8.2% fat.
    I was told that any extra protein that they don't need will be just crapped out.

This is what I feed -
    40 lbs - Gamebird Feed
    20 lbs - Pigeon Grain
    20 lbs - Boss
    20 lbs - Oats (dry)
    *Add just enough Molasses to cut the dust*

I also feed soaked Oats on the side.

Pigeon Grain Mix Contains:
    Canada Peas, Red Milo, White Kafir, Maple Peas, Oat Groats, Austrian Peas, Whole Wheat, Safflower Seed, White Millet, Red Millet, Canary Seed, Vetch, Buckwheat, Rice

Chris

5. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    Kidneys have to filter excess protein levels, but usually can handle this as long as they have PLENTY of water. Also, molting birds don't lay so be careful of the layer feed which may have higher calcium levels than needed during a molt. I use a 20-24% protein starter w/ growing birds, either juvenile or molting/healing chickens. This will help build tissues that are strong and healthy. I use this even when laying and have oyster shell available free choice.

6. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    My "gut feeling" is to not exceed 24% I feed 17 to 20% and boost to a maximum of 24 for short periods of time..

ON

7. cjatthefarm

cjatthefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2010
    Tucson
    I'm sorry to be so dense; but I am spending countless hours on this site learning everything I can about EVERYTHING. But, I am starting to wonder if I will ever get it right.

Too much protein, not enough protein. Not a lot of iron, but some is ok??!! Make your own feed--don't. Mash--?????

And my newest question--what is BOSS???? How do I know if I need to buy it or feed it and where would I find it????

Please. The chicks get here soon. I am starting to feel real inadequate.

8. sekinkead

sekinkead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2009
    Central Ohio
    BOSS = Black Oil Sunflower Seed

9. cjatthefarm

cjatthefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2010
    Tucson
    Egad.....[​IMG]......boy do I feel stupid!

thank you:D

10. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Quote:breath deep.........relax.....[​IMG]

All will be fine... Chickens are durable and tough...[​IMG]

You can make it as simple as you like or complicated...[​IMG]

Just be sure you have a bag of starter ready to go when you get the chicks..

ON

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by