How much protein is TOO much?

rodriguezpoultry

Langshan Lover
11 Years
Jan 4, 2009
Claremore, OK
My birds are molting like crazy...I know they need a bit higher protein in which to grow their feathers back a bit faster, but I'm not certain how high is too high.

There is a gambird feed (for pheasants, quail, etc.) that has 28% protein. The fat isn't exactly that high. I'm wanting to get the 20% layer feed...actually I will probably wind up getting it anyway, just trying to get a feel for what I need to do.

I have read some people supplement their regular layer feed with something with more protein like cat food or calf manna. I would guess you could also use the gamebird feed. I think 28% by itself is a little overkill.

My older girls are molting like crazy. I supplement their reg. feed with calf manna, manna pro poultry conditioner, it has 22% protein or the game bird feed which ever I can get but I just add it to their reg. diet. I also just do the scrambled eggs/boiled eggs, moist cat food, canned tuna fish even and BOSS twice a week.

rodriguez,
I feed a 28% Gamebird Feed also (Kent High Flyer 28) but I do cut it with Pigeon Grain an BOSS to get it down to around 19% protein and 8.2% fat.
I was told that any extra protein that they don't need will be just crapped out.

This is what I feed -
40 lbs - Gamebird Feed
20 lbs - Pigeon Grain
20 lbs - Boss
20 lbs - Oats (dry)
*Add just enough Molasses to cut the dust*

I also feed soaked Oats on the side.

Pigeon Grain Mix Contains:
Canada Peas, Red Milo, White Kafir, Maple Peas, Oat Groats, Austrian Peas, Whole Wheat, Safflower Seed, White Millet, Red Millet, Canary Seed, Vetch, Buckwheat, Rice

Chris

Kidneys have to filter excess protein levels, but usually can handle this as long as they have PLENTY of water. Also, molting birds don't lay so be careful of the layer feed which may have higher calcium levels than needed during a molt. I use a 20-24% protein starter w/ growing birds, either juvenile or molting/healing chickens. This will help build tissues that are strong and healthy. I use this even when laying and have oyster shell available free choice.

I'm sorry to be so dense; but I am spending countless hours on this site learning everything I can about EVERYTHING. But, I am starting to wonder if I will ever get it right.

Too much protein, not enough protein. Not a lot of iron, but some is ok??!! Make your own feed--don't. Mash--?????

And my newest question--what is BOSS???? How do I know if I need to buy it or feed it and where would I find it????

Please. The chicks get here soon. I am starting to feel real inadequate.

Egad.....
he.gif
......boy do I feel stupid!

thank you:D

Quote:
breath deep.........relax.....
big_smile.png

All will be fine... Chickens are durable and tough...
wink.png

You can make it as simple as you like or complicated...
ep.gif

Just be sure you have a bag of starter ready to go when you get the chicks..

ON

Back
Top Bottom