How much sand would I need?

Crax

Chirping
Oct 4, 2020
Texas
So I have decided to fill the inside of my 10 x 12 coop with around 3-4 inches of sand, but I am wondering, exactly how many tons of sand do I need to fill that space/depth?

I did a calculation and it’s around 2 tons, I just wonder if I’m correct or not.

Simple Math. 10x12 is 120 sq ft. 3" thick is 30 cu ft. 4" thick is 40 cu ft. One cu yd is 27 cu ft, so you are looking at 1.1 to 1.5 cu yd. Graded sand (dry) is usually given a weight of 2700 to 2800 lbs per cu yd (basically, 1.4 standard tons/cu yd. So you want between 1.5 and 2 tons of dry graded sand delivered. That's a short truck, and will likely carry an extra fee.

Simple Math. 10x12 is 120 sq ft. 3" thick is 30 cu ft. 4" thick is 40 cu ft. One cu yd is 27 cu ft, so you are looking at 1.1 to 1.5 cu yd. Graded sand (dry) is usually given a weight of 2700 to 2800 lbs per cu yd (basically, 1.4 standard tons/cu yd. So you want between 1.5 and 2 tons of dry graded sand delivered. That's a short truck, and will likely carry an extra fee.
Thanks for the help, so I’d need around 1.5-2 tons?

My local dealer carries the following sands- (I copied the descriptions from their website
Arena Sand

Arena Sand is a special sand that is great for horse arenas. We have a few varieties that we sell for runs, stalls, and arenas. Give us a call, and we can send you some samples to make sure you get what you need for your four-legged friends.

Brick Sand / Masonry Sand

Brick Sand is a washed sand used by brick masons. Our Brick Sand meets ASTM C33 specifications for uniform application.

Concrete Sand

Concrete Sand is a washed sand used to mix concrete. Concrete Sand is a courser material than brick sand, and meets ASTM C33 specifications for uniform application.

Cushion Sand

Cushion Sand can either be screened or unscreened. Despite the name, Cushion Sand often contains at least some small rock and sometimes even bigger than that, and has at least some clay content. Cushion Sand is primarily used on construction sites for pipe embedment, on building pads around pipe, and under concrete work.

Manufactured Sand

Manufactured Sand is made when hard Limestone Rock is crushed down to sand. Particles generally range in size from 1/8” to fine powder.

Play Sand

Play Sand is a fine, clean sand, perfect for sand boxes. We offer a Play Sand that is washed and a type that is also unwashed.

Silica Sand

Silica Sand a specialized sand, that has many different uses. Silica Sand is a washed and dried material. It comes in various sizes ranging from a very fine material to an extremely course variety. Finer sizes of the material can be toxic to breath, and caution must be used during the installation of finer grades of Silica Sand.

Volleyball Sand

Much like Play Sand, Volleyball Sand is a fine, clean sand, that is great for sand volleyball pits. For serious enthusiasts, we have some sites that you can check out to get a feel for this sand on your bare feet.

I know not to use play sand but which would work best?

Exactly so.

In my neck of the woods (granted, I'm remote), no one wants to deliver anything less than at least 8-10 tons, but if you have access to a truck with a good bed and a tarp you don't mind potentially destroying (AND its not to far from the materials yard), you might consider having them load the bed of the truck up a couple times. A full size truck bed will hold more than 2 cu yd of dirt (though that may well exceed the loading capacity of your vehicle, and you don't want to do it on a rainy day or with so/so brakes!)

A short bed truck holds a good deal less, 1.25 to 1.5 cu yd.

In either event, an F150 or C/K1500 likely has a payload capacity around 1500 lb, so you basically want to get half a yard of dirt at a time if you go that route.

...and I don't use sand for my runs (or I'd just take it off my property, FL being essentially a glorified sand bar, and I have 30 acres to choose from), so I'll leave the sand type recommendation to someone with experience using it in a run.

Good luck!!!

Exactly so.

In my neck of the woods (granted, I'm remote), no one wants to deliver anything less than at least 8-10 tons, but if you have access to a truck with a good bed and a tarp you don't mind potentially destroying (AND its not to far from the materials yard), you might consider having them load the bed of the truck up a couple times. A full size truck bed will hold more than 2 cu yd of dirt (though that may well exceed the loading capacity of your vehicle, and you don't want to do it on a rainy day or with so/so brakes!)

A short bed truck holds a good deal less, 1.25 to 1.5 cu yd.

In either event, an F150 or C/K1500 likely has a payload capacity around 1500 lb, so you basically want to get half a yard of dirt at a time if you go that route.
We aren’t too far from them so we may decide to either haul it ourselves or have someone deliver it either way we don’t expect it to cost *too* much.

So I have decided to fill the inside of my 10 x 12 coop with around 3-4 inches of sand, but I am wondering, exactly how many tons of sand do I need to fill that space/depth?
Is coop on the ground or does it have a floor?
Can the floor hold the weight?
Is the coop up high so water will never run into the sand?
Will you be happy to shovel out those tons of sand once it starts to stink...
..and where will you put it?
Sorry, not a sand fan....unless you're in the desert.

Welcome to BYC! @Crax
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1604926621498.png

Back
Top Bottom