How much should I feed?

AnnieSantiago

Songster
6 Years
Aug 13, 2014
Portland, Oregon
I'm feeding my new pullets organic layer pellets.
They were used to completely free ranging, but now I have them in a coop and run.
They'll get a bit of garden leftovers, but not a lot.

How much feed should I give (per hen) each day?
When is the best time to feed?

By the way, I will NOT be able to just leave feed out.
We had a horrible rat problem a couple of years ago when I tried that method.
I need to feed them, then pick up what's left at night.

Thanks.

^ Metal trashcans with a secure lid for night storage will help combat your pest problem and the standard, round, top fill feeders fit in them easily. I put the feeder out in the morning and keep them out all day, filled with enough food to last several days, so I don't have to constantly refill it. Depending on the size of feeder and your birds the amount will vary, so it will take a while to adjust the amount to suit. My fermented feed bowls also go out in the morning, and come inside every night.

What a good idea, I didn't want to have to haul them inside the house at night. I have lots of critters and last year had an awful mouse problem inside, got a cat inside problem solved.

Annie, you might also consider fermenting your feed. The birds get improved nutrient absorption, and your feed bill will be less. And even if a rat or other pest visits the feeder during the day, they can't carry the feed away. You will still want to be sure it is not accessible at night. Since they will be in a run, I'd offer them as much as they will eat in a day. Eventually, you will get tuned into how much they will eat. When eating FF, the birds will consume less, while getting superior nutrition. A win/win situation for you and for your birds.

I'd simply use a small feeder, fill it and pick up nightly refilling as needed. A small diy "no waste" feeder would limit food spillage that can still attract rats after the feeder is taken in for the night. Alternatively, the pvc tube feeders could easily be capped at night vs having to be removed.

Back
Top Bottom