How Much Space Do Muscovy Ducks Need?

LapisLazuli

Songster
Sep 3, 2020
Illinois
Hi,
I am looking at getting some muscovy ducks, my first question is, will it be fine if I get a flock of 10? (3 males 7 females). Second question is how much space do I need for 10 ducks? I would free range them year round and my current coop is 4x8 will that be fine?
Thanks!

I would highly recommend only 1 male for 7 females. Muscovy Drake's especially can be very aggressive. As for coup size, you have 32 SQ ft. Which leaves roughly 3 sq ft per duck. That is under the bare minimum for the average sized duck and muscovies are a large duck breed (the bare minimum for average size ducks is 4). If you don't want to build anything bigger than your current coup I would recommend going with no more than 7 ducks total.

Hi,
I am looking at getting some muscovy ducks, my first question is, will it be fine if I get a flock of 10? (3 males 7 females). Second question is how much space do I need for 10 ducks? I would free range them year round and my current coop is 4x8 will that be fine?
Thanks!
Hi there! Your 8x4 coop is big enough for 8 ducks. The guide is 4 sq feet each duck for the coop only. They also need a larger run, or, as you are planning, free ranging during the day.

I suggest you only have 2 drakes and 6 females, or even 1 drake and 7 females.

Muscovy are clever birds and can be very friendly if you spend time hanging out with them from the get go and hand feed them treats.

Muscovy drakes are not really fond of other Muscovy drakes so take that into consideration when deciding how many of each sex. When I had multiple Muscovy drakes[4] I had to keep them separated with their own females or they would spend the day chasing each other all over and fighting keeping the flock stressed out. My Muscovy are old now and I guarantee if I brought in another drake there would be trouble, he doesn't even look at my Runner drake though.

Hi,
Thanks!
Muscovy drakes are known to kill other drakes, not depending on breed

Be careful

Ducks are worse than chickens when it comes to breeding ratios and I wouldn't even truest 3 of mynchicken males to be stuck with only 7 females, even with way more space than that.

They can also kill the females too.
Yes, though drake to duck ratios are different depending on the drakes themselves,
Sometimes they work, sometimes not. I have 3 ducks per 1 drake, so it's 2 drakes and 6 females usually swimming together meanwhile others are in drake jail.
Though those are my cayugas and runners, not muscovies.

I had to separate my Muscovy Drake from my Hens because of over mating them. I put him with my Mallard/Rouen Drake in Drake jail. By the end of summer he was mating him and I had to let him go down the road to another home. Muscovy ducks can also fly. I had a flock that would fly away and I would have to go quite a ways to chase them back home years ago. I clip wings now to keep my two hens home. Good luck with your choices. One male is plenty and sometimes too much.

Back
Top Bottom