how much space do quail need?

i think quails deserve as much space possible, they are a great little bird. 1 ft sq is not enough, they use to keep chickens in tiny metal cages, they said that was ok, we all know it's not. so i would say give them as much space as you can, and keep them with sand/dirt boxes they love them and branches to lie under, it makes them feel safe, you will be rewarded with some very happy quails.

1.5 ft x 8 ft = 12 sq ft; 1 sq ft minimum per bird = a maximum of twelve quails in that area, IMO.
I share the "more is better" school of thought.
I originally had 3 quail in a 3 ft X 6 ft pen (this space does not include their quail house, which is 5 sq ft). I've recently acquired 5 more quail, and had to divide the pen into 2 sections due to problems with integration. Now I have two 3 ft x 3 ft areas, one for each of the two groups. I consider 8 to be the maximum number of quail I will keep in this pen in order for them to be healthy and happy and productive egg layers.

My experience is that birds from the same hatch that were placed in a pen from young and grew up together in that pen can be in smaller spaces without problems than new birds that are introduced in new pens.

I have some pens that ate 1.5 x 8' - I build them to fit the 3'x8' steel roof panels. Mine do best with 8 in it (2 males and 6 females). If you do a full 3x8 then 20 are happy together. With bigger pens the square foot per bird goes down - but when I've gone to 32 birds in a 4x8 then there were more injuries. I seem to have the fewest injuries with 8 to 24 birds. They are also happier if they have more stuff to run around - boxes with sand, boxes with hay, things to go under...

Back
Top Bottom