How much space do Serama Chickens need?

Norah22

In the Brooder
Aug 29, 2019
Hey guys! As you can see, I have a few questions about these sweet little seramas…☺️ In a couple of weeks I might have an opportunity to get a couple of young pullets and cockerels. I’m thinking 2 or 3 girls and a rooster? But I’m also wondering how big of a coop I would need. I know you guys might get mad, but I might get a smallish and cheap coop online because these are kind of my secondary chickens, and I have standard chickens in a big coop for egg laying. Also, as I mentioned, I’m hoping to get a roo, so I can have a couple of clutches of babies as seramas are super broody. Anyone have advice and tips for me? Thanks!

Sorry I forgot to mention that they would have some free range time outside each day. And I live in a hot climate so they would be outdoor chickens in a tractor type coop…

Welcome to BYC.

I don't know much about bantams, but the more space you can give them the better no matter what kind of chickens they are. Especially if you want to breed them.

In that case you'll want a flexible space that you can subdivide into brooder/broody facility, grow-out, for-sale vs keeper, etc.

2 or 3 girls doesn't sound like many for a rooster. Minimum numbers can vary by breed. Be sure to investigate that.
I’ve done a bit of research, and for some reason I was under the impression that for seramas, that less girls is okay? But I really don’t know that much.:idunno

Welcome to BYC.

I don't know much about bantams, but the more space you can give them the better no matter what kind of chickens they are. Especially if you want to breed them.

In that case you'll want a flexible space that you can subdivide into brooder/broody facility, grow-out, for-sale vs keeper, etc.
Thank you! I’m a total newbie when it comes to breeding chickens… This helps a lot! Could you describe what you mean a little more?

I’ve done a bit of research, and for some reason I was under the impression that for seramas, that less girls is okay? But I really don’t know that much.:idunno
I'm never researched seramas ... so you very well could be correct. Certainly for most other breeds it's low. If you've researched it, then you should be good!

Thank you! I’m a total newbie when it comes to breeding chickens… This helps a lot! Could you describe what you mean a little more?

You'll want to be able to give broodies a place to sit and raise their chicks undisturbed and a place where the chicks you raise can grow while you evaluate them and decide which to keep and which to sell.

If you end up with multiple roosters you'll need places for each to have his flock or hens or you'll need a bachelor pad.

Overall, you'll need a space big enough for the maximum number of birds you intend to keep.

@Ridgerunner has a great article on giving chickens the right amount of space: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/how-much-room-do-chickens-need.66180/

I know this is a bit late, but hows the sermas going? I want to note, that roosters in seramas are less agressive, and they dont crow very loud at all. so by that, i can see how youd be under the impression that less girls is okay. If you can, id stick to more girls, especially if you want to breed, sermas dont have great hatching rate, and dont breed a ton, so doing less wouldnt give you amazing odds, i would do around 4-5 girls if you can for the rooster, and thats just my thought.

Back
Top Bottom