How much sq ft does the coop need

The recommended minimum on here is 4 sq ft per standard sized chicken. The reason you see different number is due to things like climate, overall flock management, size of flock, breed temperaments, etc. For example in colder climates, where chickens may choose to stay indoors during periods of bad weather, you'd need more space to compensate for them not going outside.

Right now I have 30 chickens ranging ages (3 days old to 19weeks): oldest 3- Buff Orpingtons 19 wks., 3 - wyanedottes 15wks., 2 - white leghorns 16 wks., 8 @ 12 weeks - 2 jersey gaints, 3 Barred rocks, and 3 black australorps; 2@8 wks. 1 lavender Orphington and 1barred rock; 4 @ 6 weeks 3 white rocks 1 lavender Orpington; 3@3wks. 1 slw, 1 blrw, 1 blue langshan; 5@3 days 3 lavender Orphingtons and 2 blrw.
I am in Florida with warm winters so they will only been the coop at night and be in the run during the day. Can't free range due to raccoons are out during the day as well as at night, we also have hawks and owls.

You are not going to believe how much those birds are going to grow. This happens to a lot of people, what was enough room when they were chicks, rapidly becomes NOT enough room when they get big.

30 chickens would, should be 120 square feet, so about 12 feet x 10 feet or 8 x 15 feet. Very ugly behaviors can start, if they are in too small of an area.

You need about a 300 square foot run. Now these are not exact numbers, but on the other hand, very few problems show up with a great deal of space. Building is expensive, so building it big enough at the get go is important. A little extra is a good thing when it come to space.

Do not think you can cheat on numbers and space because you 'free range' when it gets dark, they have to fit on the roost.

Mrs K

I would have to recommend at least the minimum of 4 square ft. per bird, more if you can do it. If they feel overcrowded it can cause all sorts of issues, from feather picking and bullying, to not wanting to go into the coop at night. More room is always better in my experience. :)

It sounds like you have an awesome flock there!! :D

You are not going to believe how much those birds are going to grow. This happens to a lot of people, what was enough room when they were chicks, rapidly becomes NOT enough room when they get big.

30 chickens would, should be 120 square feet, so about 12 feet x 10 feet or 8 x 15 feet. Very ugly behaviors can start, if they are in too small of an area.

You need about a 300 square foot run. Now these are not exact numbers, but on the other hand, very few problems show up with a great deal of space. Building is expensive, so building it big enough at the get go is important. A little extra is a good thing when it come to space.

Do not think you can cheat on numbers and space because you 'free range' when it gets dark, they have to fit on the roost.

Mrs K
Thank you Mrs K, I was thinking of an 8' x 16' coop raised with run under it as well as an 12' x 24' run that would 416 sq ft, so this should work, again thank you for your help.

I would have to recommend at least the minimum of 4 square ft. per bird, more if you can do it. If they feel overcrowded it can cause all sorts of issues, from feather picking and bullying, to not wanting to go into the coop at night. More room is always better in my experience. :)

It sounds like you have an awesome flock there!! :D
Thank you

Thank you Mrs K, I was thinking of an 8' x 16' coop raised with run under it as well as an 12' x 24' run that would 416 sq ft, so this should work, again thank you for your help.

Sounds pretty good, though if you have the room and budget for it, I'd go bigger on the run if possible. The more space you can give them, the more problems you can avoid and the easier it will be to integrate new birds later on to replace spent layers or just to grow the flock.

Of course you can always add on later, but it's easier and more cost efficient to just go larger right from the start.

Back
Top Bottom