How much to feed?

Beccichka

Chirping
Feb 22, 2023
How do I know how much food to give my 4 week old layers? We have a small feeder with a pint sized mason jar on top. When full, it is the equivalent of 2.5 pint sized mason jars. They eat most of it except for a layer at the bottom of the feeder. I can fill it again and they will go right through it. We were doing this 3 times a day. However, when clean out the pen and give them new bedding, I am removing a good amount of their food from the last week. They leave a ton all over the floor of their pen. I understand that some of the pieces (it's starter scratch not pellets) are too big, but it looks like a lot of the stuff they are leaving is the more ground part, almost like bigger powder. I started just filling the jar once three times a day and pouring remaining contents onto their floor for them to forage. My question: Is it ok to "force" them to forage rather than continuously filling their feeder? Or do they prefer the feeder and really are leaving on the ground what they won't eat?

You're going through feed quickly because they're wasting most of it. Since you noted you're using a whole grain feed, I'd highly suggest you start fermenting it - you will reduce waste plus ensure the chicks are eating the "powder" at the bottom which is the vitamins, minerals and protein mix ins that make this feed and not just grains.

Back
Top Bottom