how much to feed

I fill their feeder full. When it's almost empty I fill it back up again.

UNLESS they are in one of their moods and have a bunch of feed scattered in the run. Then I don't refill the feeder up until they got all the wasted feed pecked up.

So my chicks are three weeks old tomorrow and they seem to always be hungry! Or is it just normal for them to swarm me when I bring treats? All I have to do is open the door and they think I am bringing them something :D

Whatever I give them, it is a real show to watch them chase each other and try to take treats away from each other! Is that normal too?

yes mine chase each other all the time. tonight they got a pan full of spaghetti. apparently its more fun/easier to chase another chicken and try to get her piece then to take one from the from the pan right in front of them. I have 8 chickens, 50lbs of pellets last a month. they free range and different treats.

Ya I did the spaghetti too one day! That was something... Is it ok to give them something every day? Sometimes I give them a little steel cut oats or the green ends of my strawberries or some grass.

Ya I did the spaghetti too one day! That was something... Is it ok to give them something every day? Sometimes I give them a little steel cut oats or the green ends of my strawberries or some grass.

Not the person you were asking but I'll chime in. It's fine to give them some treats everyday. Just don't overdo it with "empty nutrition" things like spaghetti or white bread. And make sure they have chick sized grit available at all times unless they also free-range some portion of the day. Or give them a whole clump of grass complete with all the dirt.

Back
Top Bottom