How much water for 7 layers?

sfchixn

Songster
12 Years
May 30, 2009
Central Coast, California
I'm trying to figure out if I need to hang another waterer in the pen. I currently have a single 1-gallon nipple watered for 7 pullets. Should I get another? There may be times we need to leave them for a week -- with a chicken sitter dropping in (of course). But it would be nice to tell the caregiver that most likely water does not need to be refilled.

I have a one gallon plastic waterer for my 5 pullets, they tend to dirty it pretty quick and won't drink it when it's dirty...so I have to change it one every day or two. For 7 I would get another 1 gallon waterer JUST to be safe. Here in Florida I have to make sure the chickens have fresh, cool water. The average temp is 80-90 now and without water they would have easily overheat and die.

You should look into a nipple-type waterer. The water stays clean until they finish it so you're not cleaning/refilling every day. It only took about a week for my pullets to figure out how to use it.

Quote:
Missed the part about the waterer being a nippe waterer. I'll have to look in to getting one. And to answer your question....depending on how many times the sitter comes I would add another one. One gallon wouldn't be enough for 7 pullets on a warm day.

I'd would get another water, at least a 2-3 gallon. You want them to have water at all times, so increase the amount in front of them. They will only drink so much. I have 11 and mine have a 5 galon in their run ,and a 3 gallon in the coop. I change water evey othe day,if is dirty I change it before then. The one outside seems to get changed more often then the one inside.

the more water the better if something happens to one there is a back up for them to drink from water is very important
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom