How my attitude has changed...

MOChickenz

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 10, 2010
Missouri
When we got our first chickens, I said "they are not pets". They have a job...to lay eggs.

I figured that when their egg production went down, I would take them to the swap or give them away.
Now I know that I have nearly 40 chickens that will die of old age here. I love the silly things. I cannot even imagine selling them off as useless or giving them away.

Well, all except Foghorn, the White Leghorn rooster. He is about to go to freezer camp. Mean old thing.

I did eventually sell my original flock, but it was hard. I cried when I sold the last one. But I have lots of pretty chickens that also lay eggs regularly . And I hatch out chicks all the time:)

That's funny because my experience has been completely the opposite. Started out thinking they were pets and that I'd have a heck of a time being able to part with them when they stop laying. Now I see them only for their practical value.

I think my little flock has changed me.....they are really a blessing to me....they bring happiness and joy and counteract the stresses of life. Can't wait to see them and watch them, and it's not just me. People are fascinated by the idea and constantly ask about them and family and friends "flock" to my yard to hang out! It's one of the best things I've ever done.
lol.png

Quote:
I couldn't have put if better! For 3 years I read and studied on chickens but didn't have the nerve to get one until this spring! I never in a million years expected to enjoy it as much as I do. Even on my days off I drag my old bones out of bed at 5:30 and let them out and listen to my roo "Don Juan" first crow of the day:) I sit out with them everyday and just love when they jump up on my knees and make their funny little sounds.....the tasty eggs are coming in second to de-stressing I get when I'm with them.

I am a person who has to have two or three things that I am doing at the same time. Can't just sit still....I would bust wide open. Until I got my chickens. Now I can sit out there for hours watching them scratch and peck and hunt around. So very relaxing.
sharon

I have to agree. I am enjoying them so much more than I thought I ever would!! I hate having to open them up,and then leave for work.

My husband thinks I have lost my mind. LOL Oh well, he has his tractors, and I have my chickens.

So far I can balance it out with who stays and who goes. I just have to spend several months getting myself used to the idea. Ever since Spring I knew I needed to sell my oldest two Red Star hens, totally tame favorites. But I needed the space for the young set. The youngest pullet, falls out of the cage door into my lap and cuddles into me... I'll likely never part with her, or the Hamburg pullet. I sold the Red Stars earlier this week and am still sad about it. But the remaining 3 hens outside seem much better for it. Now they rule the roost. Then I have 3 more pullets to add and I'm done, no more hatching. Besides the ducks.

Next I have 4 ducks to part with. Still getting used to the idea of that.

Back
Top Bottom