How my chickens pay for themselves

LizzzyJo

Show me the data 👩🏼‍🔬
5 Years
Dec 14, 2018
The Great Black Swamp, Ohio
I’ve talked about this many times before, so I thought I’d post about it. Selling eggs isn’t the only way to make money with a pet flock. You have to think creatively. For me, my chickens pay for themselves by replacing gifted wine.
So, in my work/social life/community, we have dinner parties or get togethers frequently -maybe 1 every two weeks. And, each time, we bring a bottle of wine (maybe $15). Well, for the past few years everyone has asked me to bring them fresh eggs instead. It’s not money-in, but it’s saving $15-out. That’s at least $30/month. That’s $360/year. My feed is about $13/month. They’ve paid for their coop and feed with saving wine money ;)

Think creatively and I’m sure your chickens give you more than they take - not only in money but in happiness!

How do your chickens help you out?

Think creatively and I’m sure your chickens give you more than they take - not only in money but in happiness!

I have tiny serama and larger longtails. Everywhere I go
Snicker doodle.jpg
tom and me.jpg
the chickens, turkeys, and dogs follow; constantly making me smile and laugh. That makes all of them worth keeping.

aabigfight.jpg

In gardening, the chickens make some wonderful compost and fertilizer. I haul in woods chips, free from the dump, and the chickens scratch, sort and poop. Pile them up and let nature take its course. Spread on garden.

Also, exercise. Getting me moving, outside and gardening. Which leads to better mental health. Chicken Zen is a thing.

Figure up the cost of gym membership, psychiatric sessions and garden food. How could anyone not afford to keep chickens? ;)

How have i benifited from having chickens?
Lots of different ways.
Fresh eggs for my family, and sell eggs to my neighbors and gifts to my friends.
Making new friends when they buy eggs from me.
Great organic fertalizer for my garden, an organic garden that yield lots of healthy stuff for my family and friends.
Great conversation piece when folks stop by, lots of people dont know what a guinea is!
The memories of building a new and safer coop from reclaimed materials with my husband.
Therapy... sitting on the feed bucket in the coop as they eat out of my hand.
Joy...watching a new hatch if chicks with their mom as she shows them to dust bathe.
Entertainment....my chickens antics and personalities never get old.
I just Love them.
They make me Happy.

I’ve talked about this many times before, so I thought I’d post about it. Selling eggs isn’t the only way to make money with a pet flock. You have to think creatively. For me, my chickens pay for themselves by replacing gifted wine.
So, in my work/social life/community, we have dinner parties or get togethers frequently -maybe 1 every two weeks. And, each time, we bring a bottle of wine (maybe $15). Well, for the past few years everyone has asked me to bring them fresh eggs instead. It’s not money-in, but it’s saving $15-out. That’s at least $30/month. That’s $360/year. My feed is about $13/month. They’ve paid for their coop and feed with saving wine money ;)

They save me a small fortune in bail bills and mental health "professionals".:D

Back
Top Bottom